Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hard Drive/DVD Drive not Working?

When I was using my computer a couple of weeks back, it automatically shut off and couldn't turn on. I switched the power supply and it was able to turn back on. However, my hard drive and DVD drive do not work even though I plugged the power cables from the power supply into both of them. I'm not really sure what the problem is. I tried to take one of those power cables and plugged it into one of my cooling fans and it worked so I don't think the power cables are the problem. I'm not sure if the components got fried in the process, but my motherboard still works as well as the fan on the graphics card on the motherboard. My computer doesn't boot into anything on the monitor though.

When I turn on my monitor and start up my computer, there is no signal to the monitor so I'm guessing maybe its the video card since the motherboard should boot to its BIOS right? But the video card fan is spinning when I turn on the computer so I'm not sure if it is already messed up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It sounds like you might have gotten a voltage spike into your power supply. I'm surprised , if that's the case, that your mob survived, they usually don't.
    I'm kind of confused as to what you mean that your "computer doesn't boot into anything on the monitor" ?
    Are you saying that Windows comes up, or the mobo splash screen comes up? I need a little more explanation there. If your HD isn't working, Windows will not come up. If the video card isn't working, no image will come to the monitor at all. If the HD is not working, the dvd drivers would not be there, since they are stored on the HD.
    The more I think about this, the more I'm thinking HD failure. Is the splash screen ( the screen that introduces your mobo, before Windows opens) showing on your monitor. This seems to be the key question. If the splash screen is there, but Windows is not opening, then it is that your HD is not communicating to your mobo, for one reason or another. Your mobo itself must work for the splash screen to appear.