Ok. So I've had a VCR/DVD combo player for a while. Never had any problems with it. The DVD part recently quit working, but the VHS part still works so I still have it. My friend gave me a DVD player, and I hooked it up to the VHS player that is hooked into the TV. It plays most DVDs just fine, but there are a few that it turns sort of static-y (not full-on static, but the kind of static you see in spy movies when the spy is reporting from a non-disclosed location and when he first appears on screen there's a little static) and the screen gets darker (and a slight blue tint to the screen).These same exact DVD's played just fine on the old DVD player.
I've tried playing them in the Xbox (also hooked up to the old player) and the same thing happened. I tried hooking up the new DVD player directly to the TV, but I need to explain this. My old DVD player attaches to the TV via one single large cable. The new one uses the 3 red, white and yellow cords. There is a place to plug in the 3 cords at the front of the TV, but I plug it in and nothing happens. I've tried changing the channel and all, but still nothing.
Uh, additional info: the DVD player is a Magnavox MDV2300. TV is Sanyo, but idk anything else about it. If you need more info, just say so, and I'll do what I can.
Please no "Just get a new one," or "We obviously can't figure this out because we aren't there" answers. Only respond if you actually have something useful to say, and want to help me solve this problem. Anything else I don't want to hear. I know it's a longshot, but I hope someone will be a tech smartie and be able to help

I know this is ridiculously long, but thanks for reading, and hoping someone can help