I am currently transferring my home video collection that I have on my computer to DVDs so I have quite a large volume of disks that I am making. Some (Not all) skip and can go very chequered during playback on PC's or DVD Players.

I am using Sony DVD Architect 5.0 (Build 161 [The latest]) and using a Sony Optiarc AD-7280S-0B 24x disc drive with Verbatim 43549 16x DVD-R 4.7GB disks. I am burning them at 16x even though DVD Architect defaults them to 20x!

Things have been absolutely fine when I have done this before. The only differences this time is that a) I am using Verbatim discs instead of Sony b) I was doing some complicated HD video editing while burning.
Could it be either of these that has caused the problem? I have quite a high end machine and neither the Processor or RAM weren't anywhere near 100%. That's not to say it wasen't the Hard Drive at fault. Could it be my hard drive? (WD Caviar Green 1TB SATA III 6GB/s) Is the fact that it cannot cope with reading the multiple HD video files AND reading the files for burning at the same time?
Is it the speed I am using? Should I go slower? I know that going faster means that they are produced more quickly, but less accurately. Should I go down to 8x?

Is my DVD burner coming to the end of it's life as it was only cheep. The drivers are up-to-date. As I say, it never used to happen before! These are the only two things that have changed!
As I say it doesn't happen on every disk so I'm finding it difficult to make a conclusion as to what the problem is.
If anyone can answer this, you will take away my massive headache!!!!