Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    w_romaine

Can the XBOX 360 HD DVD add-on be upgraded/updated to play Blu-Ray Discs?

I had heard that through an update of sorts, Microsoft could allow the add-on to play Blu-Ray discs? Is this possible? The reason I ask is because I was one of the lucky ones who bought the HD DVD add-on and as we all know, Blu-Ray has won the format war. Your answers are much appreciated! Thank you!

adrianclay81882003
    I have never heard that the Xbox 360 HD-DVD attachment could play Blu-Ray DVD's just by an update. That doesn't even make sense because if it were possible, there would have been an update for the PS3 to play HD-DVD's.

In order to play Blu-Ray DVD's, you need a Blu-Ray drive and the Xbox 360 HD-DVD attachment doesn't have a Blu-Ray drive and Blu-Ray DVD players are completley different from HD-DVD players. The Xbox 360 HD-DVD attachment CAN NOT be able to play Blu-Ray and never will.

Microsoft will have to start selling new Xbox 360 Blu-Ray DVD attachments separately and if they do, I'm pretty sure that it will cost more as well, probably 200+ dollars.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No that is not true at all. They're two completely different technologies that work differently. Their hardware isn't the same, so you can't just release a software update, as replacement parts would be needed. THere are rumors that Microsoft will release a Blu-ray Player addon, but they are only rumors at this point. They would have to get licensing rights from Sony first to start production on them. So in short, the answer is NO.