Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Miss Rhonda
    I use a cheap chablis.... i cook with it all the time, chicken french, chicken piccata, mahi piccata....... it is very inexpensive, it dosent matter what brand you use... i keep it in hand just for cooking..... i also use a cheap cabernet for making meatballs!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Best white wine for cooking?

I know absolutely nothing about wine, and would only be using the wine for occasional cooking purposes. Mainly poultry. I've heard people say to stay away from cooking wine. I don't want to spend more than $15 a bottle. How long does wine last anyway? Thanks for the help. Sincerely Wine Dummy.
    I have never tasted white wine, so I wouldn't know what to get.

rippa76
    I use Ruffino Orvieto...it's fairly dry. It's best with sweet/acidic things like Oranges or tomatoes. It's also inexpensive and common. Goes well with the meal when it's ready, as well.

willy
    For top-end wine dinners we always match the wine we cook with to the wine it is served with. In everyday operations, we use whatever is cheapest and leftover at the restaurant. Cooking wines aren't very good. Chardonnay works the best with chicken, not too overpowering. Stay away from sour or sweet wines like young pinot grigios or rieslings or gewurztraminers. I use a chardonnay for cooking at home. Cooking entirely changes the characteristic of the wine, and with a WHITE wine there is such subtle flavor I do not think anyone could guess the vintage from the flavor in your chicken chardonnay or veronique! It is a little different when making a port reduction or beef burgonione with specific red wines.

Sabir
    Not Recommended For Drivers!

Basic Wine Clerk
    Use an inexpensive chardonnay and sauvignon blanc between $5.99 to $9.99 a bottle.

i420ed
    according to what you are cooking( recipe wise) white is generally with chicken. you dont have to get an expensive bottle either. keep it in the fridge with a lid it will last longer

Joachin Murrieta
    Use dry sherry instead - it has more character...there are several inexpensive brands available at <$10/bottle. Since it is partially oxidized already, it will last quite awhile (weeks, not a few days like with white wine).

Great Gazoo -AM-
    You should pick a wine that is a similar quality to what you would drink. Cooking wine sucks.

White wines typically last a year or two in a bottle. They start to decline and don't improve with age like high tannin red wines. Reds can last several years, and some get better when they are older.

They last a few days after you open the bottle. You can extend that a bit with the vacuum tops and keeping them refrigerated, but once the oxygen gets in, they are declining.

I always cook with the leftover parts when we don't drink the whole bottle. It works out great.

Added: Well go get some and try it then. You are missing out. Try a Niagara or a Riesling. They are usually pretty good for novices.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Use a wine that you or someone would drink normally.