I am a married straight female. I do not believe homosexuality to be a choice. I believe that you can't control your attractions. I know that I can't control who I think is attractive and who I think isn't. So I base my opinion on that theory. That being said I want to know why people are so opposed to gay marriage. Telling someone they can't get married because they are a certain way is unconstitutional. I equate it to telling Asians that they can't marry simply because of their eye shape. It's something that they can't control.
I don't really understand what the Bible has to do with marriage either. I believe in a higher power, but I don't take the Bible word for word. It's as far as I'm concerned a fictional piece of literature. So saying that the Bible defines marriage as being between a man and woman holds no merit. And aren't there laws about mixing religion with state?
I don't think that any of us are perfect, but I think we should all be given the same basic rights. I don't care if gays want to get married and live the "American Dream". We all want that dream. Who are we to deny them that? I am not trying to start a whole big thing here I just really would like to know why some many people are opposed to it?
I often hear the sanctity of marriage would be violated. Well if that is the case maybe we should outlaw marriage altogether seeing that 50% of heterosexual marriage end in divorce, isn't that violating the sanctity of marriage?

Britney Spears was married for 55 hours but that's ok because it was with a guy. But Heavan forbid two men get married and stay that way forever.