Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    holieberie

my 10wk old puppy whines and barks all night, poops in his cage at night

and wont go outside for the bathroom? we have gotten a smaller cage and he still poops and pees in his cage at night. we stop feeding him at 7 and let him out at 10. we sit out there and wait 30 minutes for him and he comes in the house and poops on the floor. he whines and barks waking my kids at night, and he is reluctlant to enter his cage. we praise him when he uses the bathroom outside, but comes back into the house and goes on my floor. i am honestly reconsidering taking him back. please help!!

we got him from the pet store about a week ago, we got a smaller cage, stop feeding him 3 hours before bedtime and he still poops in his cage at night. we take him outside and he doesnt use the bathroom, he waits til he comes back in and uses my floor. we looked up info online and nothing is working. we give treats and positive reinforcement, but he whines and cries all night waking my kids. we have an older dog and had no problem housebreaking him, but this puppy seems to not know what he is doing

Rebel
    How long did it take to potty train your kids?

Seriously, he is probably used to pooping on a hard surface and/or cage prior to you getting him. He's 10 weeks old & can't be expected to hold it all night. That means someone has to take him out, or he is going to go in the crate. Here's a couple ideas. Lots of exercise in the evening, play with him, and wear him out. When he starts to go in the house, a firm No, and immediately outside. No other attention. Negative attention is still attention! No water after 8-9. Keep him in crate when you are not with him.

I also paper train my pups at an early age, and have found a system that works well, and may work for you, to get him to stop soiling in bed.

Get 2 identical crates. Face them towards each other, open the doors and lock in place with the other crate. Fit a board between the doors and the crates. You now have 2 crates with a runway between them. Bed in one, and newspaper in the other. This will hopefully get him to sleep in one and use the other one for those little emergencies. When he gets this down, and is used to not making a mess in the sleeping side, and going outside on a regular basis, you can go back to 1 crate. Use the other one for trips to the Vet, travel, ect...

This just takes time, patience, and consistency on your part.

Best of Luck!

Joshua H
    Probably because he's ten weeks old.. you sound seriously unprepared for a puppy, did you even research this before you decided to buy one? The problem is not with the puppy, it's with you.

It takes time to toilet train a puppy, especially one in a new environment away from his family. Remember, at ten weeks old your pup is just like a new born baby. Look around online, there will be plenty of guides on training your pup, but if you do decide to take him back I honestly hope you never have a pet more demanding than a bird ever again.

Unregistered
    No hesitation on putting him in the crate. He needs to know that you are in charge. You may have a difficult dog, but all dogs are trainable for the most part - especially at his young age. The key part is that he needs to know pack order. It sounds like he may believe that he is in charge.

The suggestion for two cages is a good one, try that.

You need to scold him when he goes on the floor, and praise him when he goes outside. Scolding just consists of a firm word and grabing him by his collar (to get attention). You should never do anything that would harm the puppy (it doesn't sound like you ever have). Also yelling is no better than a firm word. The puppy should know you are upset. Take him out with a leash, that way you can praise him right away after he goes. Dogs are creatures of habit. They will go the same few places every day, so once you figure out where his places are (outside), just stay there until he goes. Sometimes you end up standing outside more than you are inside.

Unregistered
    I just wanted to say that we bought a 12 week old Morkie and she was the exact same way. I suggest never buying a pet from the store and instead through breeders. The 12 week old would dirty her cage and eat her poop.
    Because we got her at 12 weeks, she was very hard to break habits. I took about 2 months to litter train her. I know a lot of people don't like spanking but I was convinced this puppy was made to piss me off. I did everything to train her in proper ways. If she chewed on my things I would tell her no and give her one o her own toys, then reward herfor playing with her own toys. But no, she always managed to find something else to chew on even if I kept them out of site, she still found them. She got into one of my cabinets and found the onions we had her for only a month.

We now have another Morkie who we bought through a breeder and the difference is amazing. The breeder took much better care for the new one and since we got her at a younger age, she is much easier to train. She is already using the litter box and knows a few commands.

Bottom line, don't buy puppies from the store! They create bad habits that are hard to get rid of and they aren't entirely healthy. I'd return it and get one from a breeder. Elsewise be patient and keep training. The habits are hard to break but will get through one day.