Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

i need homo sapien neanderthalensis?

i forgot my textbook at my school so i need facts about homo sapien neandeethalensis. please help me this is due on monday and i dont want to get an F. please i need to know facts, and the nickname please help no stupid answers please! thnx!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Homo sapiens neanderthalensis (also Homo neanderthalensis)

Neandertal (or Neanderthal) man existed between 300,000 and 30,000 years ago. The average brain size is slightly larger than that of modern humans, about 1450 cc, but this is probably correlated with their greater bulk. The brain case however is longer and lower than that of modern humans, with a marked bulge at the back of the skull. Likeerectus, they had a protruding jaw and receding forehead. The chin was usually weak. The midfacial area also protrudes, a feature that is not found in erectus or sapiens and may be an adaptation to cold. There are other minor anatomical differences from modern humans, the most unusual being some peculiarities of the shoulder blade, and of the pubic bone in the pelvis. Neandertals mostly lived in cold climates, and their body proportions are similar to those of modern cold-adapted peoples: short and solid, with short limbs. Men averaged about 168 cm (5'6") in height. Their bones are thick and heavy, and show signs of powerful muscle attachments. Neandertals would have been extraordinarily strong by modern standards, and their skeletons show that they endured brutally hard lives. A large number of tools and weapons have been found, more advanced than those of Homo erectus. Neandertals were formidable hunters, and are the first people known to have buried their dead, with the oldest known burial site being about 100,000 years old. They are found throughout Europe and the Middle East. Western European Neandertals usually have a more robust form, and are sometimes called "classic Neandertals". Neandertals found elsewhere tend to be less excessively robust. (Trinkaus and Shipman 1992; Trinkaus and Howells 1979; Gore 1996)

Neanderthals were Human. Different but definitely Human. In fact, in some things they did better than Homo Sapiens.

For one, they evolved from Hominids much earlier than we did and actually exited Africa some 300,000 years before we ever ventured out.

Then they did something that we, flat-out, could not achieve until we had exited Africa and did the famous cross Continental Trek over to The Bering Straights and crossed over to Alaska and down to the Americas, all the way down to Cape Horn.

While the Last Ice Age was still going on, They crossed The Alps and settled in Europe and Northern Russian, something We were not able to do until the Ice Age had started to recede, some 200,000 years after their crossing. This was because they were a lot more sturdier than we were, a lot tougher too. Sadly, they were also slower than we were, less fleet of foot, not very good with advanced tool-making, though they did have speech and they did have both culture and religion, because they carefully buried their dead, very ritualistically.

The full story was, when we finally made it over the Alps, we made it in an absolute flood, outnumbering them by 10 to 1. But No, We didn't declare war on them. In fact, we shared the same hunting grounds and space with them. We cohabited with them, produced viable offspring with them, were buried in communal grave-sites but eventually they died out, probably outsmarted by the more quick-witted Homo Sapiens. They were all gone by 15,000 BC., but they left their mark. Modern Humans, mainly from Northern Europe and Russia have between 1 - 4.5% Neanderthal DNA and they also leave a legacy of red hair and green eyes, both Neanderthal traits.

They were no more animals than were early Homo Sapiens. They were Human. Personally, I would have loved to have a Time machine and go back and see them alongside us, back some 60,000 years. It would have been fascinating.