I met my current roommate last year in a class. We became fast friends. He's from outside the US, and is only here for school. Ever since the beginning, we knew we had some sort of chemistry. He even pointed out (something I never noticed) that the reason why he thought I was gay was because he felt we had sexual tension towards one another. I never noticed this, and at that point, I only felt friendship towards him. Then, we began to hang out almost every night, where we'd talk about every part of our life to one another. We also liked to discuss philosophy and politics. While there were many issues on which we differed, most of what we believed were the same. Once, we fell asleep in bed together (nothing happened) after we had been drinking. We were completely sober when this happened, but it was so early in the morning, that we both decided I should just stay over. The week after that, he was completely awkward. Due to this, we canceled our plan to go camping later that week (OK, I had planned on going by myself, and when he heard this, he decided to tag along, saying that I did not know how to take care of myself in the woods). A week later, he came around, and we were back to normal. We even began to give each other back rubs, and on more than one occasion, we'd end up cuddling on his bed.

We decided to become roommates, and throughout this ordeal, we found ourselves getting closer. There were times when we'd literally finish one another's sentences. We also did not divide our stuff for the new place, but bought stuff together. The last person I lived with was my ex, and even we did not do this. All this time, he always said he was straight. He always talked about girls, but he would always end up cuddling with me. We also joke and act like we're a couple. There have been times when people (friends and random strangers on the street) would remark that we are a cute couple. We would always laugh it off. He's also begun to tell me that he's still trying to figure himself out. That he's confused. But he never tells me what he's confused about.

Lately, he's become rather distant. Perhaps this is my fault. A week ago, I woke him up asking him what he wants for breakfast. He seems to remember me asking him to "think about it" and that I was trying to tug his blanket off. I was tugging his blanket on him to cover his feet! He's decided that we're too couply (putting most of the blame on me), and asked me to be less affectionate. As much as it breaks my heart, I've complied. He apologized, however, for freaking out about that morning when I woke him up. I want to talk to him more than just the, "Hi, how are you?" but he doesn't seem to want to. We used to hug each other good-night, but now he just kind of ignores me. I don't know what to do. I'm just...

I don't know what to do. Do I tell him I love him? He says he's straight--what if I lose a friend? I still have to live with him, and I don't know if I can handle seeing him every day if this were to go sour.