I understand both sides when it come to the gay marriage debate. On the one hand you have commited LGBT couples who want the same rights as straight couples. They are tired of being demonized and made to feel like 2nd class citizens. Which is completely legitament and understandable. On the other hand you have those who believe that marriage is a sacred, and often times sacramental establishment created by God for people of the opposite sex. They cannot support gay marriage because it is completely contrary to their religious beliefs and they believe it is morally wrong, just as they believe theft, murder, etc. is morally wrong.
So the way I see it this will continue to be a polarizing issue. Where one side refuses to surrender their civil rights and the other refuses to surrender their religious rights.

The only solution that I think both sides could come to terms with is if we gave LGB couples all the rights of marriage but did not call it marriage. Then both sides could agree to disagree and neither would be completely happy but might be able to live with the compromise. You have to respect LGBTs for wanting the same rights, and you have to resect others for practicing their religious beliefs. I don't see how we can fault what either side wants. Your thoughts?