Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

is france homo-friendly?

ok so im planning a trip to france next summer. ummm first of all are the french more liberal when it comes to pda and gay tolerance? im going mostly to northern france and paris. also monaco and the alpes. soo i was just curious. also what kind of clothing are u supposed to wear during the summer? i heard that shorts are very touristy

Downloads
    Uploads
    What is ****?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not really much different to the UK. Same goes for clothes. Can't see much difference myself.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very much so. Except they're starting to crack down on solicitations for gay sex at public street urinals.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The French are fairly liberal by American standards, but also have very high standards of politeness and etiquette. Although you will often hear how rude the French are, in fact they are excessively polite in everyday life (shopkeepers, for example, should always be referred to as 'Madame' or 'Monsieur') , and they place very great store by public decorum. There are spaces where displays of public affection are acceptable - in public parks, for example - and others, like near Churches, where this would be frowned upon. It is not so much the 'gayness' which is likely to be a problem, but the perception that you are some tactless American tourist with no respect for local sensibilities. The French can cope with gays. It is English-speaking tourists in general, and Americans in particular, that piss them off.

Shorts are acceptable, but make sure you always remove your hat on entering a Church. Women should avoid bare shoulders or upper arms in places of worship.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I've only been to Paris and for 1 day only but in that day I ran across 2 gay couples kissing out in the street (and i wasn't in some gay area or something) and noone was saying anything so I guess that says pretty much. Also about the shorts, they are not touristy all by themselves but please PLEASE don't wear shocks to the knee and never wear sandals with shocks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Most European countries are.