Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    menisk8chick

If you could be President of the United States for 1 year - what would you?

I guess I just don't get it ?How can a country like the United States of America still be in as bad of shape as it is after all of these years - when it comes to homeless people? (In my opinion it is not as bad as the people had it on the following web site- but still a national tragedy in my eyes). I came across a web site today that has pictures of "The Great Depression".http://history1900s.about.com/library/photos/blyindexdepression.htm Click on some of the links there and look at the pictures. It will be interesting to read what you would do first; if you could be President for one year, and had the support of all political groups and all branches of the government. Could a difference be made? Would you actually be allowed to make a difference?Obviously the "homeless" and Senior Citizens would be on the top of my priority list, how about you?We need to start taking care of US, right?Sorry .... the link go lost I think.http://history1900s.about.com/library/photos/blyindexdepression.htm**** I vote for gary c for an EXCELLANT answer!

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow a year is just not enough time to solve all of the problems we have going on right now! I wouldn't even know where to begin!!!

Meow

i would make a law that 18 yr olds can go out with there teacher if they have a crush on him/her....Can u help me out with this question?http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ajd.kqemg9yjci6aEQWazALsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid =20080313132703AAfImVW

Meow_Mix_Master

I would bring the troops homeward and put them on the borders and start rounding up the Illegals. Then I would start WPA projects building the wall ocean to ocean.

Downloads
    Uploads

First of all if I were president there would be NO Homeless people and Senior Citizens would be cared for in a respectable way. People would have healthcare and the drug companies would be out of business!! No they wouldn't let me be president because government is BIG BUSINESS - The rich gets richer and the poor gets poorer.It is really sad what the USA has turned into. We need to get the homeless off the street and also get rid of the drugs that are causing so many people to die every day !! I say cut the taxes and give the poor people a break !! A drastic difference could be made !! But it is all about the money !! If someone has money they can get away with murder in the USA !! SAD SAD SAD

Downloads
    Uploads

I would begin by finding a way to take care of the working poor, the elderly who can no longer work, the children and the disabled. Every one of them deserves a safe place to live, reasonable utilities, food on the table, a way to afford decent child care so that they can work and decent insurance that not only covers medical and drugs but also eye glasses, hearing aids and dental work. As for those who are able to work and chose not to do so, I'm not nearly as generous. We need to see that our children get an education and if the parents are neglectful then perhaps the children should be in a state boarding school during school sessions where they learn respect, manners and attend educational classes. As long as we have people who are addicted to drugs and alcohol and who continue to have babies that they cant afford or want to take care of, we will have problems with poverty. We need to deal with our own problems first before we start worrying about what's going on in other countries.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would resign. Do you take me for a fool???

mer&der4ever

I would find a way to put Bush in Prison.I would have to take care of that first.

Memory Seeker

The government has been "fighting" homelessness for how many years did you say? Didn't work.The President doesn't have a lot of power to do much of anything, for instance Hillary Clinton could have introduced a healthcare bill at any time during her 7+ years in the Senate, but did not. IF she were elected President, sh could no longer introduce a bill, only ask someone else to do it.But as long as we are playing fantasy games, why not say I am made "benevolent dictator" for one year?1. Remove all troops from Iraq tomorrow. The people there would cease to have US as a target and go back to their natural state of hating each other and killing each other wholesale. We can sell them bullets and improve the trade deficit. Since those countries have no function on earth except for producing oil, they will have to sell billions of barrels to finance killing each other and the price of oil will drop to $12 a barrel like it did in 1986 at the height of the Iran/Iraq war. Senior citizens will get $1 gasoline, $1 heating oil and propane. WE WIN!!!! And when the fighting stops (not too soon we can hope) there will be a million or so less potential islamofascists to terrorize us. We win again!2. Eliminate ALL income tax, social security tax, medicare tax, corporate tax, capital gains tax, in fact every sort of tax we now have and replace all with the Fair Tax on cosumption (sales tax) No more forms to file, no more money confiscated from your paycheck, no more paying the hidden tax of corporations in the price of things you buy. Businesses which left the United States and took OUR jobs with them will come running back because WE will be the cheapest place on earth to do business. The problem of illegal immigration will vanish (there will be so many jobs no one will care!) And for once, drug dealers, prostitutes, strippers and illegal immigrants will pay tax into our system. Provided they spend their money. Savings (money used by banks for investments in homes and businesses) would be tax exempt, it is not "spending". It would eliminate most of the political lobbyists and influence peddlers. Have a tax "pre-bate" paid every month to each household for the amount of tax paid on the basic necessities of life, low income people, senior citizens would get a check to cover the cost of the tax they pay.3. Implement some sort of health coverage for everyone. I do not have the details but we are a clever bunch. We incented telephones, sent man to the moon and have an orbiting space station, certainly we can find a way for everyone to have health coverage (insurance) that is affordable.4. Reform elections. Let the parties decide their candidates at a convention they pay for (like in the good ol' days) and eliminate contentious primary "popularity contests" paid for by taxpayers. Eliminate campaigning until 30 days before the election, recess congress during this time. We want the representatives and Senators doing their job for our money, not running for election constantly. Extend the terms of representatives to 6 six years. 2 years is ridiculous in this age of constant electioneering. Allow people and businesses to contribute as much as they want, but require candidates to reveal ALL contributors. All of these things would benefit senior citizens in a big way, cheap energy, heathcare, virtually no tax, and politicians which work for people, not for tax lobbyists.

Menna A

The government has been gradually been infected by a virus that cannot be stopped. Corruption, that is why life in the US has been going down into the dumps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast