Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is it realistic to think that we can replace cars and trucks with horses as a means

of transportation? I was watching something about this on my local news this past week. A guy here in town (not a small city, but not a metropolitan either) has done just that. I think it is realistic for short trips, but what about long trips? I know it was done this way in the past, but isn't a step backwards? What are your thoughts?

The Scarlet Pumpernickel
    considering the price of gas plus the cost of upkeep and maintenance on automobiles id say it is highly realistic as long as you dont try to make long distance trips on horseback

tedrotheredro
    that's about the most ridiculous thing I've heard today. That's my answer.

Unregistered

What's the rush?

It's not actually a bad idea, especially for small cities like the one I live in (Watertown, NY). Our population is just shy of 30k and the city is a maximum of 6 miles wide. I personally take a cab to work which is exactly 2 miles away. When I moved here 2 years ago the fare was , then it went up to and now it's at each way. 2 miles on foot takes me about 30 minutes at a speed of somewhere around 5 mph. With a horse, you can probably average somewhere around 15 mph. At that speed it would take you about 24 minutes to travel the entire width of the city and my trip to work would only take 8 minutes. I've researched the cost to maintain a horse and it was around per day. Thats including food, water, and vet bills. You could also mix the old with the new if you wanted to have some real fun with it. You could build carriages that have everything you enjoy in your car or truck. Things like air conditioning, heat, cd player, and gps. Although you may need more horses to pull the extra weight you can work towards advancing the technology in such a way that you relieve the strain on your horses.