Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Key Car Maintenance Points ?

Hey,

My brother went to college a month ago (He's going to M.I.T). I really like his car that he left here in state, so I want to keep it for me to use as my car in a year. I already take care of his interior and stuff, so what other things should I make sure to clean/take care of so that it can stay clean and run well? He has a 2006 Mustang. What should I have to maintain his car?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well to begin with, oil is obvious. If using non synthetic, change at regular intervals of 3000 miles. If using synthetic you can go longer, but I would just stick with regular oil if thats what he has been using. Also checking the oil LEVEL every week or so would be good considering those cars tend to burn a little oil. Always keep it at full, but do not overfill. That will create excess crank case pressure which is bad. Also, check to be sure the coolant level is full in the overflow tank all the time. IF it is nasty looking, replace it. Make sure tire pressure is proper. Check all fluids like brake/clutcho etc. Transmission fluid is probably fine since it is new but if you are so inclined you can get it flushed and replaced. As far as general cleanliness HAND wash the car often. Vaccuum the inside and use armor all cleaning wipes, then armor all protectant. Regular deep cleaning makes a HUGE difference. Also use tire shine. Not only does it look good but it protects the tires big time. With a car that new you SHOULD have no issues.