Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Emmyx590

How long/short is a typical short story?

I've been writing them a lot lately, and I have a bunch that range between 250 words and 1500 words. How short is too short and how long is too long?

Srta Lola
    well, as an artist, the length that you need to tell a story can very within the parameters you gave.

Basically, it doesn't matter; as long as your work is quality, a short story of any length sells itself.

Good story and characters have to be put to good use too.

Kwiatek
    Generally I say that a short story is between 2 and 10 pages, with a little bit of give either way. For what you are writing those sound like you are working on them, but you might want to elaborate on details to make them more interesting. A short story in general, needs to be long enough to develop a(the) character(s) and have a problem, climax, and revolution.

Good luck with your writing.

Persiphone_Hellecat
    A short story can be as little as 2 words. There are contests for 2 word short stories. They can be 100 or 500. There are contests for flash fiction, too. Generally once you hit 15K-20K you are running into novella range. Authors never talk in terms of pages - it is a sure sign of an amateur. Always refer to your work in number of words.
    ----
    They're, Their, There - Three Different Words.

Careful or you may wind up in my next novel.

Pax - C

khalyd c
    i doubt there is a set range. in a short story i would sya you need enough to suffienctly make you point. (moral, theme etc.)

eauderose
    2500 to 4000 is fine, dont go beyond 4500.

smallboyonherbike2000
    Well it all depends. I have had many professors explain to me that as long as you have a fully developed story, plot line, and characters, a short story can be as short as you want it. For length... I'm not too sure, but I think it cant exceed 5000 words.

giggles
    short i would say 300 words over 1000 too long