Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

If a person was in the middle of space would their cell phone work? How...

...bout bluetooth? Say a person was floating in orbit around the Earth, and say they wanted to make a call or send a text to their buddy to let them know how cool and strange it is that they're orbiting space without dying, would they be able to? Now lets say they tried to make this call via a bluetooth microphone, would the phone be able to connect to the bluetooth microphone in space?

My main point in this question is could these connections be possible outside an atmosphere I.e. space?

Downloads
    Uploads
    It depends on the strength of the signal the phone puts out and the distance the person is from any sort of receiver. The strength of an electromagnetic signal decreases with the square of the distance between two points, so the farther the person is from a receiver, the less likely he will be able to contact anyone. Bluetooth is much less powerful than a phone and has poor signal strength, so I doubt that any receiver can pick it up even from a few meters away.

Distances aside, he will be able to make a call because electromagnetism can travel through empty space.