Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Are Sony blueray DVD players and blueray DVDs worth the extra cost?

We have a Sony Bravia LCD HDTV so enjoy watching anything in HD over SD obviously. I heard there was no noticeable difference between the blueray DVD and "standard" 480i DVD but I find it hard to believe.
    I have 40" Sony Bravia LCD TV.
    I also know difference between 480 and 1080. I'm an Engineer.

But is the extra cost worth it ?! I'm not spending my hard earned cash on something thats possibly over-rated..

Downloads
    Uploads
    First of all, Blu-Ray has incredible sound and perfect picture quality and resolution output of 1080p. The resolution is far superior than a standard dvd disc. However Blu-Ray requires a HDTV with a output of 1080p but at least 40 inches or higher in terms of television size before you can see any difference in terms of picture quality.

If you have a HDTV less than 40 inches then the picture quality would be comparable to 720p even though Blu-Ray supports 1080. You can't tell the difference. Both would look the same.

If you have a analog old television however then Blu-Ray would look like a standard dvd movie and there is no difference because the television is not HDTV.