I have a Sony VAIO VGN-N250E laptop, and the optical drive is not functioning. When I insert a disk, and click the icon for the disk on my desktop, the drive makes an occasional faint grinding sound, then in about 30-45 seconds, a pop-up appears asking me to insert the disc!

I gather the drive is no longer reading the discs. It reacts the same with ALL discs. I've tried all the basic "troubleshooting" steps, and none of them corrected the problem. When this problem first began about two weeks ago, it only happened sporadically (if I removed and re-inserted the disc a few times eventually it *would* read it), but it was getting worse every day - now I can't "coax" it at all. So, it doesn't look like a software or hardware conflict is the issue (plus, I hadn't added, removed, or changed anything prior to when the issue began).

I think replacing the optical drive is a repair I can handle, but I'm unfamiliar with compatibility of the various models. Mine is: Sony DVD RW AW-G540A ATA Device (as read from "Properties" tab). There are several optical drives available on eBay for Sony VAIO laptops, but none with that exact model number.

If there are other models that would be compatible that I can use, that have the same capabilities, please let me know!

Thank you!