Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    andrew_marks07

Pro's and Con's Of Buying a Playstation 3 as a BlueRay Disc Player?

I'd like to get some feedback on the pro's and con's of buying a Playstation 3 for BlueRay movies as opposed to purchasing a traditonal BlueRay DVD player.

Geo K
    the pros are it is cheaper and you get a gaming console, internet browser, etc.
    i cant find a con right now.

♥S & K♥
    Well one Pro is that it is less expensive than just getting a Blue Ray Player, another is you get a gaming system with it. If you like to play game then that's all the reason you need. Personally I don't think the Blue Ray DVD's are much better anyway. I have watched a couple and I'm really not impressed.

jawa
    Depending on the brand...not much...

the one con to blue ray is that it's so darn expenseve!

john H
    What I want to know is why buy a standalone player if they cost more? Is there any advantage to a standalone? I'm guessing not- b/c game consoles are sold at a loss (except the Wii) b/c the manufactures expect to make more money on the games anyways. The standalone players can't be sold at a loss so that's why they're all more expensive. That's my guess anyways.

On a side note- why do xbox fans say the ps3 sucks and then start talking about how the xbox 360 can do EVERYTHING... what can it do that the ps3 cannot? (besides the differences in games)- I'm talking feature-wise they're both the same, are they not? Actually it seems the ps3 comes with a bit more, and xbox 360 requires add-ons- (wifi, hd-dvd player)

Imarai
    Pro: Cheaper
    Con: If you don't understand how to use the ps3 controller you will have to by a blue tooth remote for the ps3 seperatly

Matthew F
    well the life span off a normal one is most likely higher, but cost wayy more + this gives u a Fuckin PS3!!!

edblack89
    the pros of buy a ps3 as blueray disc player is that its one of the best player to get because it alway getting updated to lateless technogoly of blueray to get the best. cons you really dont use for games and other things

The Man Who New 2 Little
    They is no pros! ALL CONS, First off it is way to much money, second they really dont have any good games, let alone never come out with any. Third you cant play Halo 3, and that is what video games is all about, get a xbox 360, so many games, downloads, and its great, I cant think of anything better. You can do almost anything on a 360 console

SaberBlade
    There are no cons.

It should be cheaper, although you may find one or two Blu-Ray playes cost the same depending on the PS3 model you get (i'd recommend 60gb if you plan to use it for gaming, especially with PS2 games but 80gb is a good alternate).

It will play all Blu-Ray movies, not just now but also in the future as PS3 firmware updates will add new Blu-Ray features and such updates will also allow larger capacity discs to read with no problems (as some standalone players can't be updated so will need replaced over time or will end up being behind on updates and features and unable to play certain movies if they are using these higher capacity discs).

While all Blu-Ray players are able to play DVD's, but not all play CD's so the PS3 would give you extra disc formats that can be played.

Plus you will be able to use all the PS3 functions as well because having the PS3 could open new possibilities for you if you plan to using it as a console as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast