Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ticking noise in a 2008 Pontiac Torrent?

I am looking at a 2008 pontiac torrent. Runs good, no engine lights are on. we started it, fired up fine. My husband opened the hood and said it has a ticking noise. I could barely hear it myself. You cant hear it when the hood is closed. It does not get louder when you accelerate. It is the GXP model with i believe a 3.6L V6 SFI. Do these engines just have a quiet tick to them? I have read they do, so i was wondering if this is bad or not. Like i said, once the hood is closed you cant hear anything and does not get worse when accelerating. Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    In most cases this is often related to the hydraulic lifters that open and close the valves. After many thousands of miles if the oil is even a bit dirty it can cause the lifter not to fill up when first started and you may hear a tic tic tick. This is very common in many cars and goes away as soon as you put the car in gear and accelerate. you did not mention the mileage on the car but pull the dipstick and if the oil is dirty and you cannot read the marks on the dipstick through the oil changing it will help keep the engine clean and last awhile longer. I would not worry about the lifter noise as much as the condition of the transmission and the rest of the car. Here is a website that has consumer information on their cars and you can see what complaints if any have been made for this year make and model.
    here is a link click on the blue letters http://www.carcomplaints.com/ while I did not find a lot of complaints I did notice that this car was not made all that long and only lists 3 model years. Frankly this means that its probably not that good of a car overall and parts will be increasingly difficult to get with the 08 being the last year of production as far as I could tell. I suggest you pass on this car and go look for something that has a better history and has been around awhile so the bugs were all worked out already. A Toyota a Nissan a lexus a Infinity a Subaru and a mazda would all be better picks than this car is.