Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

why can't female authors write sci-fi or horror without ruining it?

i made the mistake of seeing "the host" this weekend, expecting an action-packed, body-snatcher type movie. turned out it was another dumb chick flick based on a story written by a chick. it was all about their "feelings" and jealousies over which dude they liked. yechhh!

just like how they ruined vampire films. when dudes wrote the stories, vampires were viscous, horrid, blood-sucking nosferatu beasts bent on destruction. but since chicks started writing the stories, vampires have become sweet, vulnerable, misunderstood victims that sparkle. ughhh! there should be a law.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lois McMaster Bujold.
    Katherine Kurtz.
    Linda Evans.
    Margaret Weis.
    Marion Zimmer Bradley.
    Mercedes Lackey.
    Patricia A. McKillip.
    Rosemary Edghill .

that is from ONE folder, "sci-fi fantasy L-R".
    I don't "do" horror, but mostly they don't either, they "do" "romance", disguised as "monster" books.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Erm....Flouride? You did know that Stephanie Meyers, who wrote "Twilight" also wrote "The Host", right?

I'm not sure what you expected her to do. Her writing style is what it is...and she's become rich and famous because of what she writes, which is geared towards women. Twilight, to teens, and The Host, to adult women.

She isn't Stephen King, and she never will be. Nor do people want her to be.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The lady who wrote The Host also wrote Twilight... So that's only one woman who ruined it. Don't generalize. I'm currently writing a book about vampires and I'm making sure it's nothing like that Twilight crap.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Most sci fi tv shows I like (Lost, Battlestar Galactica, Falling Skies) are created by men.

Only one stands out from a female author/writer (Hunger Games Trilogy)

Junior Member ITWASAKIDNEYINFECTION's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't pretend to give two figs about sci fi, but I really want normal vampires back.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The highest grossing film series of all time is Harry Potter, and it is also the highest selling book series of all time as well. It was written by J.K Rowling, a female. The Hunger Games, Divergent, etc were written by females as well, and they have become wildly popular sci-fi/dystopian novels.

While I agree that Stephenie Meyer turned vampires into victims and ultimately made the creatures loose their frightening appeal in Twilight, it's not like all female authors/writers/directors share her same mindset or writing style. She wrote the book she wanted to write, that's all. It's a shame The Host was bad, it seemed like it could have had a lot of potential!

I do agree that males still have the upperhand at developing and writing truly good horror and sci-fi, I don't think all women writers plan to turn horror/sci-fi literature and films into love stories. Stephenie Meyer is just one woman who wrote a story, don't let her dictate your opinion of all female writers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't understand why you need to have "The Host" or "Twilight" or every single sci-fi or horror movie targeted at you. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

Don't try to shut down the meager sci-fi or horror films girls do have aimed specifically at them.