Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Alex H

Will installing big rims ruin my car?

I recently bought a Chrysler 300 Touring. I want to install some nice chrome rims like all the other kids (LOL I'm 36). However, my mechanic tried to convince me not to. He said those big chrome rims ultimately ruin the car's suspension among other things. He also said I wont enjoy a smooth ride anymore. He thinks I should just keep everything as factory as possible since thats the way the car was designed. So fine, maybe I wont install 22s. So, what about 18s? 20s? The SRT8 comes with 20s. Would it make much a difference? I do like the smooth ride and would prefer comfort to looks if I had to choose.

the_manic_mechanic
    Big rims mean thinner tires to keep fender clearances. (Sidewall aspect). Thinner tires means the suspension gets beat up worse. Stock height sidewalls are an integral part of the car's ride. Kinda like "pre-shock absorbers."

Notice all those lowered riceboy cars bouncing and jerking as they go down the street...

gary b
    I put 36" rims on my 1989 Geo Storm and it's fine.

TrRy
    Your car will be fine with 20's....it will not mess anything up at all, if you get rims and the correct size low profile tire and stand it next to your current tires they will be the exact same height...you should not notice much of a change in the ride - if you went with 22's it may lift the car a little higher which would throw off the speedometer a few mph, anything 20 and under will be the same as what you got now

tinkingchi
    they would wear out your CV joint

gromit801
    Might ruin the looks. Big rims are so butt ugly.

gromit801
    Might ruin the looks. Big rims are so butt ugly.