Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why does my blackberry tether connection run worse than cable?

Ofcourse the answer is obvious I guess. Its a phone connection right? To bad I didn't realize this before I baught into the Alltel smartphone plan. I was told it was the second best internet connection available...not that it was the second best for phones. Now I'm mad because the internet sucks on the blackberry and the tethering is worse than just bouncing off my neighbors internet. They won't let me cancel my plan (ofcourse) after telling them how much it sucks...so i'm stuck with it.

They didn't tell me a lot of things in that store and the sales reps where ignorant about knowing their stuff.

Now I pay too much a month for crappy service. I couldn't get any other type of connection because I live clear out in a country area.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It depends on how much you're paying for the service, and your coverage with other networks. The question you have to ask is whether or not it would be worth buying out your contract to put your BlackBerry on a different network that would get you better speed.

I don't know Alltel's price or speed, but by way of comparison, T-Mobile's tethered BlackBerry phones run at approximately 115Kbps, and the cost is about $80 per month (that includes the phone service, not just the internet). You should, of course, check to see if your area is well-covered by our network (or any other); in general, you can get the speed I mentioned as long as you are in a location with at least three bars of service. If you are in an area with lower signal strength, then you will either have slower service, or none at all, so it's important to check.

T-Mobile is also offering a 3G Data stick that will fit any computer with a USB port; its speed is comparable to DSL, and it effectively self-installs. Of course, you have to live in an area with T-Mobile's 3G coverage, so obviously that is a consideration.

Best of luck in coming up with a faster connection - I can certainly understand your frustration!!!