Hey performance car guys. I have a 1978 El Camino with a '73 350 2-barrel engine in it that is stock except for a free-flowing dual exhaust system. Initially, I wanted to put a little 4-barrel carb and intake on it but after learning more about performance engines I know it would just burn more fuel and not make much more power.

The engine has a Rochester 2-barrel carburetor on it now and I think it's stock but I'm not sure. I've learned that 2-barrel carbs make good low end power but only modest mid-top end power, which is apparent by how fairly quick my El Camino is off the line. I noticed that some circle track cars use 2-barrel carbs, and I was wondering if installing a bigger 2-barrel carb like a Holley 350 or 500 would be a worthwhile improvement over the Rochester 2-barrel. I was thinking it would be fun to have a off the line sleeper that makes lots of low end power. Would a bigger Holley 2-barrel make more mid-top end power also?

What do you think is the cfm rating for a stock Rochester carburetor? And are 2-barrel carbs more economical then 4-barrels or is that just a myth? I'm consider this carb swap and also upgrading the ignition. What do you guys think? No ignorant answers please.
Yeah, but a 2-barrel 350 is designed for a 2-barrel carb. The cam and heads aren't made for a 4-barrel. I don't want to be stupid and ruin the balance of this engine, resulting in using more fuel.

I mean more fuel then it can turn into power.
I'm ignorant huh angryhip? I don't even understand what you're talking about. I'm considering investing roughly $500 in this engine, not installing a completely different one for an extensive month-long project.