Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ford Ranger manual transmission is hard to put in Overdrive?

I have a 1990 Ford Ranger extended cab with 450,000 miles. I just did a auto to manual trans swap. The new transmission works fine except when I try to put it in overdrive I have to force the shifter up (reverse just below it works fine) and when I try to take it out of OD I end up pulling the shift knob off. 1st-4th and reverse are smooth.

All I want to know is whats going on in my tranny.

I don't want any answers about how much Ford sucks or you will be reported!!! (I like ford trucks)

And don't tell me to replace it (because I don't have the money) or that I should have left it auto because the old one had over 400k on it and I blew the trans last month.

I am NOT going to buy a new truck while this one still runs so Don't Say To

Downloads
    Uploads
    learn to deal with it, sounds like to me you have to set the rest of your life on higher priority than this inconvenience for now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually, with that many miles, I am surprised you went to the bother of such a swap anyway, I would have just dropped a used replacement tranny in and been done with it.
    I bet you have something out of alignment in your linkage.

Threatening others with being reported before you even get the answers does not encourage me to bother giving any other advice or doing any research for you, so if it isn't the linkage, I don't much care.

Downloads
    Uploads
    go get a bottle of lucas oil transmission stop slip.helps condition new and old trannys.also should help with the shiftin as well.and i am ford guy myself.and there is nothing wrong with a ford at all.people just say that becuz they know there good vehicles and chevrolet sucks.i have a 77 ford and it runs and drives like new.