Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

dodge rear gear ratio?

I have a 1937 Dodge Business Coupe that has an updated suspension. I believe the rear end is a Dodge 8.75", with the cover bolts toward the driveshaft and a smooth rear pumpkin. It has a Chevy 350ci engine and I believe it to be a TH350 trans. The whole setup does about 65 on the freeway, but the engine is screaming at that point. I'd like it to rpm a lot lower on the freeway and I really don't care about the holeshot, as I just like to cruise it, so I'm guessing it has a low 4's gear ratio in the rear? I was planning on swapping the rear out in the distant future with a larger, narrowed one, but for the time being, am I right on the rear ratio without removing the yoke and cover? Would lowering the ratio to the high 2's or low 3's be an easy adjustment for now?

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    The rear end will have to be disassembled to change out the ring and pinion. Unless it was using a ring gear spacer for the low 4 ratio it will probably need a different carrier to mount the 2 or maybe even 3 series gears. Unless you can do most of the work it will take several hundred dollars for parts and labor. You might be able to buy and swap the pumpkin (third member) out for one containing higher gears for less money

Downloads
    Uploads
    Assuming you are using a 3 speed TH350 and 15" wheels, a ratio of around 2.90 to 3.25 should be fine. A ratio in the lower 2's is pretty stiff and would be sluggish. Most cars in the pre-overdrive era came stock with ratios in that range.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There should be a tag under one of the cover bolts with ratio on it. A fairly easy way with a helper is jack it up have helper turn drive shaft and count revs for 1 wheel rev.