Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Chrysler 300 as first car?

Hey everybody, I'm going to get my first car in about 7 months, by then, I'll have around 13000$. My question is, does an used (90k km) V6 3.5L chrysler 300 cost a lot on gas? And is it reliable?

Downloads
    Uploads
    From what I gather, the Chrysler 3.5L v6 isn't a terrible engine in terms of reliability, but it was way behind in power versus the competition. What you should expect for problems on that car are front end problems. You will need new wheel bearings, struts, ball joints etc around 100k most likely. The parts are cheap, and being RWD it takes half the time to install the parts too.

As for gas mileage, check fuelly.com. I see reports of 17-19 mpg and 23-24 mpg for v6 300s. They don't tell you which v6, and I will take a stab that most people reporting 23-24 probably do a bit of highway driving and have the 3.5l, based on how underpowered the 2.7L engine is.

The 2.7 liter engine is the same engine that Chrysler has been sued countless times for because they die an early death from sludge problems due to poor design. It's also incredibly underpowered. So the 3.5L or the 5.7L v8 (which gets 17/25 EPA and people claim that to be accurate from what I gather) would be the engine you want.

I test drove one with a 2.7 liter. I did not know about the engine woes at the time, but it was so underpowered I decided not to get it. But it was a very, very comfortable car.