Will I get into Emrby Riddle, at Daytona?

lance

May 21, 2008
I have a cumulative 3.9/4.0 GPA. I scored 2270 on my SAT and I play soccer traveling around the country. I have my private pilots license with 63 flight hours logged. I am hoping to become an airline pilot - but I cannot join the Air Force due to their regulations on allergiess. Despite me passing my Medical First Class, that doesn't seem to satisfy them. At Emrby Riddle, if I even have a chance at getting in, I would like to persue and aviation related degree. I might double major, and get something aviation related, and something else business related.

Look what we have here, another hypnotized high school student.

You have a GPA that could get you into some of the best schools in the nation, and you want to waste your schooling at Emrby Riddle? To answer your question, YES. You will get into Embry Riddle no question - in fact, you will likely get a tremendous scholarship. If your dream is to become an airline pilot, I respect that. But please do not go to Embry Riddle.

You will get a degree there that will benefit you little in your adulthood. It is a good idea to get a business degree also- the aeronautical science degree is what I hear, about the equivalent of an underwater basket weaving degree. The only thing that matters in becoming a pilot are the flight hours and a college degree.

Go to a good school, preferably one in your state (cheaper) - like University of California at Berkeley (My School) - and get a business degree there. While you are at school, you could take flight lessons at the local flight school. It will cost you money, but LESS than ER. Once you graduate, you could become an instructor and make terrible money. Build up your hours and get a job at a regional. Same process - make dirt money - and build up your hours. Once you get a good 2,000 or 3,000 hours, send in an application to a major airline. Your business degree will benefit you if you happen to hate the terrible lifestyle of a entry level regional pilot. You could simply quit your job and go find a good job making you 100,000 or more. Then you could buy a private plane and fly for fun.

In all reality, all you need is a butt load of cash to get into Embry Riddle. It is not Emrby.

It is a waste of money. Get a degree in something that you can use if you don't get the flying job, and get your flight training elsewhere.

Heck, you could get into ERAU with a 2.0 gpa as long as you have a highschool diploma and the money to pay for it. Only an idiot with more money than sense would spend a quarter million bucks to attend ERAU for 4 years when they can get the same quality (or better) flight training and a USEFUL college degree for well under $100k.

Don't believe that "Havard of the Skies" advertising BS. That's exactly what it is. While going there won't hurt you, it also won't help that much either Unless you have that much cash on hand, why start out an aviation career more than $150,000 further in debt than you need to? Starting salaries are in the $20k range and don't rise quickly. Imagine trying to make a $1000 per month student loan payment on a $1500 a month take home pay. It doesn't pencil out.

Never heard of it. There is, however, a school called Embry-Riddle in Daytona and they just take money.

Back