why not send the boats back (part 2)?

itsmethenerd1

Dec 19, 2010
I've already asked one question http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AsrFAsDMxvImrNwPboFlIcvT5gt.;_ylv=3?qid=20101219153303AA6vI6s and thanks to everyone for their thoughtful answers. To summarise my thinking there: I'm in support of a large, increased quota of refugees, but refugees coming by boat is bad for everyone. There is something wrong when people need to get on a rickety boat to increase their chances of being accepted as a refugee.

But the answers I guess didn't directly answer my thinking. Bearing in mind that most boats of refugees come (to Australia) from Indonesia, and most of these refugees are not originally from Indonesia and not in danger of persecution in Indonesia, why would this not work:

* Fund a refugee processing centre in Indonesia. People can apply for asylum there without getting on a boat first.

* Reach an agreement with Indonesia that any boat of asylum seekers, if we could ascertain it came from Indonesia, would be sent back to Indonesia ("they came from there, they're going back"), even if the boat reached Australia. Change Australian law, if necessary, to allow this.

(Yes I know there would need to be exceptions for people who are being persecuted in Indonesia)

Again, I'm looking for legal / practical answers why this would not work, not political debate.

Back