Why does my friend talk (on the phone) to his dead brother late at night?

CraigyBoi

Jun 4, 2008
His brother, who was a very good friend of mine, passed away almost a month ago. He got shot. His family has been telling me that's he's taking it too hard and they fear that he's going crazy. Anyway, I spent the night last night and he got a phone call at three in the morning and started talking to the person that called him. After a few minutes, I realized he was talking to his dead brother. I asked to see the phone because I wanted to see if it was true, but he wouldn't give it to me. I told him that it was not cool to play tricks on people like me, especially when it came to his brother. I asked to see the phone. He was very offensive about it and he said only he can talk to his brother and no one else can. He talked on the phone for like 30 minutes and it seemed so real, I was getting freaked out. "They" talked about what he did that day and all kinds of stuff brothers talk about on the phone. After he said he loved him and hung up, he laid next to me and I asked him if he was really talking to his brother. He tried to explain to me different things that would prove to me that it was his brother who called. Like how he has a set ringtone/picture that plays/shows up whenever his brother calls. He even showed me the list of recieved calls, and sure enough, it was his brother. I still didn't believe. I still don't to this very moment. I tried to just forget about it and thought to myself that he's just mourning really really hard and he'll accept his brother's death soon and that he just needs time. In the morning, I woke up to the sound of his phone ringing. He answered the phone and I swear it sounded so real when he told his dead brother that he was sleeping and to call him back later. I still didn't say anything. I didn't wanna start an argument or anything. So I got up, changed and left to go home. I've been bothered about this all day. Has anyone ever experienced something like this before? I know it's not real, it can't be real. His brother is gone. I talked to his mom on the phone and I told him that maybe they need professional help. Is he going crazy? What can I do to help him deal with our loss? I was thinking of taking him out during the day, to keep him busy (he's not in school right now, it's summer time). Oh, and I forgot to mention, he's 17 1/2 years old and his brother was more like a father to him.
When my cousin passed away when I was 16, I remember going through something like this, but it wasn't as crazy as this. I would come home late at night and look for my cousin. I'd call his name and tell him I wanted to talk to him. It's just how I took it after he died, but I eventually accepted it in time. But never have I seen or heard of someone talking to their dead loved one on the phone and it's making me think that he can't handle his brother's death and he's going crazy.

Back