who are the artists that truly changed rock/pop forever?

clvr1001

Feb 27, 2008
here's my list of the 7 rock/pop artists that changed music forever, and reasoning:rolling stones...the first immensely popular british act in america, and the pioneers of hard-edged rock in america...they would obviously go on to change their sound over time, but their early days are still what make them immensely popular todaythe beatles...obviously, their pop music era got them popular originally, and then their switch to a psychedelic sound showed their tremendous songwriting talentled zeppelin...it can be debated, but i see them and not black sabbath as the inventors of metal...also, they can be credited with the advancement of blues rock around the worldpink floyd...getting past their psychedelic era, they put prog rock on the map and opened the door for any and all such bands to have any popularity at allac/dc...they are the pioneers of hard rock, their talent, image, and edge were unmatched, and they had the personality for popularity(cont.)michael jackson...as much dislike as i hold for this guy, you can't deny that he put pop music on the map and opened the door for a lot of similar acts, including the ones we see today...he was very talented, too bad he's a headcasenirvana...i know people will bash me for putting them on the list and i know that neil young is the actual inventor of grunge, but they put the genre on the map and actually knocked jacko off the top of the music world, which was no small featso, who would you add to the list if you could, or maybe subtract from it? and you can critique my list if you wanti don't know that elvis was particularly influential for any other reason other than being the "king"bob dylan never really did anything earth-shattering imoto me, the who weren't that much different than the stones in terms of sound, and the stones did come first and cleared the way for any popularity the who might have had, regardless of who was better(i personally prefer the stones though)queen i think we can add to the list for their musical experimentationi guess chuck berry did have something to do with it as well, he was the influence of the influencesand hannah montana as influential? uh, no, no one ever will look back on her as anything...and even though i like bon jovi, they didn't influence anyone or anythingactually shades, imo the ramones were the first punk rockers, which leads me to believe that maybe they should be on this list

blink 182-though they appear to be a jack off joke band...with catchy hooks and few meaningful songs they have been said to be the step child of punk....they influences too many of todays little garage alternative punk kids

beatles - i dont really like them but they did put rock on the mapblack sabbath - first to cross the line with dark, evil lyricsled zeppelin - good cross of blues and rockac/dc - i agree with youmetallica - best thrash band ever until the sell outnirvana - i agree with youdeath - innovators of death metal

I like that list. But I would add Black Sabbath for starting metal and just being great musicians. Also, The Who because they were, in their time, bigger than the Stones and, in my opinion, ALOT better. The Doors too. They should be on there just because they were amazing.

I think you pretty much nailed it, i have great respect for all those bands. I really hate MJ, but you have to admit the guy was pretty amazing before he went crazy. I love the beatles, the stones, zeppelin, pink floyd, and nirvana. But i also think you have to throw in Dylan (like suzanne said) and even the who.

David Bowie, Peter Gabriel, Depeche Mode, The Cure, The Smiths, Queen, Bryan Ferry, Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, Nirvana, The Doors and Led Zeppelin.That's all.Bye.

You missed Chuck Berry(who every hard rock and Brit band ever will admit was their first influence), the various bands from frisco in the late 60s who were the real pioneers of hard rock ( airplane, doors, grateful dead), John Mayall (everybody played in the Bluesbreakers) and Frank Zappa, who taught us never to take ourselves toooo seriously.....

Some of you guys might beat me up for this but I think that Hannah Montannah (as much as I DISLIKE HER MUSIC!!!!!!) Is going to be looked upon as an artist that changed the music industry by her tv show and insperational lyrics. I don't like her music tho, she's just a great person. Also, bands like underoath and the devil wears prada and emery (love them!!!!) have proved that Christian music can be pretty hardcore.

Black Sabbath... were more fathers of hard rock and detuning than anybody elseGuns n' Roses... they really had a different style of doing everything and really changed a load of things for RockMetallica... Gotta hand it to them for pretty much inventing thrash metalBon Jovi... Really another father of rock and the country rock mixtureMotley Crue... Big part of the Hair Metal craze in the 80'sRush... For the amazing three man trio and for making it so others wanted to follow. And for the great drumming got to hand it to Neil PeartThats pretty much all I got can't think of any more.

The Who ~ arguably the first punk rockers ~ should be on that list... Also Chuck Berry. Sophie B is absolutely right about that.But who to bump?AC/DC and Michael Jackson. Sorry, guys.**edit**You know ~ I made my own list of seven and they were on it!! (Actually they were tied with the Clash) but my list was the same as your otherwise, and I don't know ~ I didn't post it... probably because I have such a hard time limiting myself to an arbitrary number ~ lol!Anyway, here's what I had:Chuck Berry ~ godfather of RockThe Beatles ~ the fab fourThe Who ~ guitar smashing wild men with great songsLed Zeppelin ~ soft or hard, they got it allPink Floyd ~ brought psychedelica to the massesThe Clash -or- The Ramones ~ punk personifiedNirvana ~ the right band at the right time

Back