Which martial art should I do?

SaturdayDreams

Oct 7, 2010
I want to do a martial art that is the most effective self defense system that incorporates throws, takedowns, submissions, chokes, multiple attackers, knive defenses and hand and foot (arm and leg) striking, and defends against all of these. Which martial art would do all of these, or which martial arts would I have to learn to learn all these defenses, attacks and counters against all these. My favourites are Kung Fu (not sure which style), Judo (Kodokan), Japanese JuJitsu and Aikido (Shodokan (Tomiki) the effective brutal one). Which martial arts combined or just one by itself covers all those areas and does very well and masters all of them. Also which one or more arts do you think is the most FUN to learn, ( most enjoyable, interesting, exotic and fascinating and has the nicest instructors).
I am 15 and in Sydney, we don't have high school wrestling and I want something to defend against a much larger opponent by means of like throwing, tripping, striking, locks. For example a person being able to execute all of them against someone who is much larger than me which I see is the case in most self defense situation. Also disarments of knives and maybe guns would be good, bcoz as much as Aus looks innocent, people get glassed every saturday night, and what really scares me is that the night clubs are prone for meathead brawls, and worse stabbings. My friend has been glassed innocently by a drunk thug and I know a friend also who got beat up by more than 1 person . And so i know no material or money is worth your life and i wouldn't be willing to fight bcoz he wants my phone or something, but if anything happens I do want to be well prepared. Which martial arts would handle all these fighting types well. Which do you think are good for different sorts of self defense and why / which arts? What could you recommend me? Should I do a striking art and grappling art (which one first?) or just do one art that covers everything I said?
Add: I also want the arts to be something effective for a small (but quite strong person like me) to be able to defeat a larger opponent or "thug" using minimal effort? Are there any arts based on using attackers strength against them? Which martial arts do knive/gun defense and which do multiple assailants and are there any that do both? Im so confused? The arts I want to do in my life are Aikido Jap Jujitsu Kung Fu( haha hence the panda movie and jackie chan, kung fu seems cool too) and Judo. Which do you think are most effective for my criteria. Which are your personal favourites and recommednations for me. Not for street fighting for effective ,real, self defense. I want one/s with a huge focus on self defence and self discipline and tradition like in Kung Fu Panda (my fav movie). =D. I would like one or 2 arts that I could combine or do 1 alone that could make me very well rounded self defender and martial artist. I would like my training to be solely effective for self defense, not to big on patterns but they are very fascinating when you watch them in the Kung Fu classes, i dont know what they are for, if its like form before function, but I think patterns would be more meditative (those flowery, kung fu ones) rather than self defense, imo, what do you think? So i would like an art ( or combined) that does all that self defense, and includes self disciple, tradition, fascinating and fun, and also make me more healthy and fit ;). So i dont know if any of my arts do any of that , knive/gun defenses, or throws that are effective or strikes, or multiple attackers, but i would like to do them in the arts i choose.
Also what are your favourite arts and why? What would suit my criteria?
Thank you for answering. And please whoever keeps thumbing down all the answers in MA section really pisses everyone off, coz no one can decide what to think and its just getting slightly ,you know . :).
Thank you :)
SD

dud ethat is way to much information. to select a martial all you had to say was"incorporates throws, takedowns, submissions, chokes, multiple attackers, knive defenses and hand and foot (arm and leg) striking, and defends against all of these." your height and weight. listen. i would suggest taking karate, kickboxing& Brazilian jujitsu. take on for six months so you can learn basic's. then the other two.

Fighting mainly involves, as you already stated :

Punching/Kicking/kneeing/elbowing/headbutting:

Wrestling/grappling

Submissions/chokes

all these can occur while a) standing b) scrapping on the ground c) totally on the ground

Since you are 15, your brain is very fragile and you should avoid taking hits to your head until you are at least 25. So I would take boxing/kick boxing on a regular basis out. You should still learn to strike but do not compete in striking/sparring on a regular basis at your age.

Many styles of Kung Fu are good and very complete BUT, not many are taught properly anymore because there hasn't been any wars in China that used empty handed or melee weapons. 200 years ago, the Kung Fu you get from a good Kung fu school would involve all aspects of fighting, punching,kicking,throwing,knives,swords,spears. Modern times, very very few people know all these enough to teach them.

You need to grapple/wrestle/strike. So if you can find a good brazilian jiujitsu school to start off. You should do ok. Make sure you learn how to kick and punch too, without getting a concussion. At your age you do not want to take shots to your head. Ok? ok.

Back