What's so special about having a car/SUV with a V-6 or V-8 engine?

Mike

May 13, 2008
I have experience with driving a 1998 Ford Explorer XLS which is automatic. It gives me great acceleration. I recently bought a Mitsubishi Outlander 2010 ES (the lowest trim level with only 4 cylinders) The acceleration is sluggish in Auto mode. However, when I put it in manual mode with the sportstronic shifter, then shift to 1st gear and step on the gas, it takes of like a rocket! (Feels like more torque than the Ford Explorer with V-8). I can see the advantage of an automatic V-6 Vs a plain old automatic 4 Cylinder (w/ no sportstronic shifter)

However, why do people spend extra money on an automatic V-6 or V-8 engine when they can get that same torque feeling with the sportstronic shifter in first gear and stepping hard on the accellerator? Is it simply a matter of convenience by not having to manually shift gears? Is this a secret that only sportstronic car owners know about? Thank you.
Ok I get it. V-8 will give more horsepower and even more torque to a lightweight car than a standard SUV.
I have another question. I read that if you are driving an auto w/ Sportstronic and you hit the redline while in 1st gear, the car will automatically upshift to 2nd gear, 3rd gear, etc... Will this still wear out your engine? Does anybody here have first hand experience with this?
Thank you.
One more question.... With my car in sportstronic transmission mode,...Can I step on the gas while I downshift from 4th to 3rd to 2nd. Or will that hurt the transmission? Should I take my foot off the gas while downshifting?

Thanks.

The V6 and V8 engines seem to last longer in a truck or SUV. For me, it's worth spending a little more for gas to have a more durable engine.

they are generally faster, but usually bigger. It takes a lot of power to move a big v6 suv or especially a v8 suv. The manuel mode on your car speeds up quicker because you allow the RPMs to get really high, and so it will speed up quickly. If a v6/v8 had the same manual mode, they most likely will do the same and the RPMs will go up and will be a lot faster than a 4 cylinder. People usually buy an SUV and it comes with a v6 or v8. If the car is a nicer trim level, they usually feature a bigger engine. it just comes with it. People dont always just seek out the engine size. Also, v6 and v8 offer a lot of power and have a greater towing capacity and easier off road driving or hard driving.

they are faster than ur 4 cylinder car they like to get stuck and debt to stick to ur insticts this is just what i believe you dont have to trust anyways iam just a kid iam just tryin to help good luck

Back