What's in the pipeline in next couple of years for a large *hybrid* SUV or van?

hideg

Jul 19, 2008
We need to buy a hybrid SUV or van that meets certain criteria. We have a couple of less than ideal choices available on the market NOW, but we don't know whether a model that would suit our needs better is in the pipeline to come out in a year or two. I am hoping that someone who has their finger on the pulse of automotive trends, can read this post and respond. We have two important criteria:

1.) When seats are down or removed, I need to be able to fit a painting that is a bit more than six feet long and 4 feet wide securely inside. It doesn't have to lie flat (i.e. it can fit diagonally if necessary).

2.) We are hoping to find a model that gets at least 22 mpg city and 29 mpg highway, but somewhere close would be OK.

The government's website (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/hybrid_sbs.shtml) in the 2010 year shows that the Ford Escape has the highest MPG rating, but that model just doesn't have the room we need for the width, even on diagonal. Aside from the Escape, the next choice is the Toyota Highlander, which also seems too small. The next options are the GM SUV lines: Chevy Tahoe and GMC Yukon. Those models are large enough, but have only a 22 and 21 MPG (City and Hwy) rating.

Based on what is available now, it looks like we are forced to buy one of these two GM models. We don't want to have buyers remorse if a better model for our needs comes out during the next year or two. Do any of you know if something is in the pipeline that has the space of the Tahoe or Yukon, but better mileage thank those models currently have?
HI SSP Bowl Dude, and thanks for the helpful info!

Our motives for buying the hybrid are ecological, rather than financial. We know that currently, gas prices will not allow recovery of the added cost quickly, but we want to reduce our carbon footprint, and this is one way to do it. So we are still hoping someone (perhaps yourself?) can answer our main question about whether there are models in the coming year or two which will deliver better mileage with the necessary cargo capability. Thanks again for your info!

Back