What type of Blue-ray drive does my PS3 need?

WadeCardilini

Jun 28, 2013
I bought a Ps3 from ebay, Said to be in fully working order.
I received it and SSurprise Suprise, the Blue-Ray drive is F*cked.
Instead of returning it I decided to just use down loadable games (Since I got it fairly cheap)
But now I wish to use disk games for several reasons.
According to the item description, the PS3 I purchased is a: CECH-CO2 (40gb(Which has since been upgraded to 500gb :D))
After a little bit of research I found that I needed to buy a KEM 400A drive to replace it with (Swapping over the Logic-board and such)
I received the item a short while later to discover the drives looked completely different. The original was completely encased in metal (which I had a fun time trying to open, and ended up destroying the metal completely) and the drive having a metal casing only on top.
The Cables and such on the insides of the drives to connect tot he logic board were also completely different.
I contacted the seller asking if the item i purchased was correct, or if I made a mistake, Sure enough they told me that the drive i bought was supposed to work with my system type, and that it sounds like the drive i need is a "KEM 410A"
They offered to refund the item in exchange for postage ETC. But it will be cheaper to just re-sell the item (so I'm going to do that)
After searching on Ebay for the selected drive, I happened upon a KEM 410A that looks the same as my original drive.
Before I make the purchase though, I need to know that I am buying the right thing.

Does anybody have any experience or knowledge in this regard? I don't want to waste my money on another non working item just because I bought the wrong thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

- The baconator

if you know the ps3 model and google it you can find the part number of the BD drive , it sounds like you already did that but found the wrong page or had someone list theirs as fitting without doing any research themselves , if you are still not sure and are taking the old one out look on it for the part number and order the same one .

the part number should be right on the disc drive so that's one option if you don't trust the info you find online . the part numbers I am seeing listed for that model are kes 410A or kem410ACA on most sites but those usually,lst them as being for several models ( which may be correct , I know sony changed parts a lot ( bd drives , lasers and other parts ) and sometimes used the same ones in more than one model , on ebay most have a photo so you may want to look there and see if that part looks like its the same before you try ordering it .

Back