What is wrong with my internet connection?

GrimR90

Jun 16, 2010
Ok here's my problem. I am in the UK, and I am with BT for my phone line, but with 02 for my internet. Recently, my phone line has developed a fault, and wont be fixed by BT for another couple of days. This means I cant make or receive any calls on my landline. BUT, my internet is working fine. I have a desktop computer in the living room, which is hooked up to the internet via the Thompson 02 Wireless Box II, that 02 provided me with. The internet on the desktop computer works fine. However, it is my laptop that I am having trouble with. I use wireless internet for my laptop in my bedroom, and I have an Acer Aspire 5338 laptop. The problem I am having is that the internet is running unusually very very slow - for example, it took around 5 minutes to load a 30 second HD video on Youtube. Up until the landline fault, the internet on my laptop used to work very fast, and used to work even faster than my desktop PC. Also - I don't know whether this makes a difference - I had installed a wireless internet USB dongle on my laptop; it was with 02 and I needed it as I am about to travel and I needed a way to have sure access to the internet whilst on the go. I installed the software which came with the dongle, which was the 02 Connection Manager program, and all the drivers for the dongle.

So basically, could the fact that my landline has a fault be the cause of the problem, or perhaps because I installed the 02 Connection Manager program and the associated drivers be the cause. Or perhaps some form of hardware problem on my laptop? I just want to know what could be the cause. Maybe I should wait until BT have fixed the problem on their end, and see how my laptop is after that, but I would like to know if it is anything else. Any help in dealing with query would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any answers.

Back