What did Jesus change in Judaism?

HAL10000

Sep 18, 2011
First, he did not change anything. This is a wrong way to view Christ's advent and the occurrences that took place thereafter. If I could give three, they would be:

1. Jesus fulfilled the sacrificial law by becoming the ultimate sacrifice capable of covering the sins of all humankind, past, present, and future.

2. He emphasized the spirit of the law rather than adhering to the letter of it.

3. After Christ rose from the dead an ascended into heaven, the Holy Spirit was freely given to all who would repent and believe. Before Christ, the Spirit was given to certain individuals in order to empower them to carry out God's will on earth.

Does anyone agree with these?
@Yoseph: Isaiah 49:6
he says: “It is too small a thing for you to be my servant to restore the tribes of Jacob and bring back those of Israel I have kept. I will also make you a light for the Gentiles, that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth.”
@ All those with the sacrifice problem: Have you not read,

Isaiah 53:4-6

4 Surely he took up our pain
and bore our suffering,
yet we considered him punished by God,
stricken by him, and afflicted.
5 But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was on him,
and by his wounds we are healed.
6 We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
each of us has turned to our own way;
and the LORD has laid on him
the iniquity of us all.

@ All those with the sacrifice problem: Have you not read,

Isaiah 53:4-6

4 Surely he took up our pain
and bore our suffering,
yet we considered him punished by God,
stricken by him, and afflicted.
5 But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was on him,
and by his wounds we are healed.
6 We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
each of us has turned to our own way;
and the LORD has laid on him
the iniquity of us all.

JESUS DIDNT CHANGE ANYTHING.. man did, man corrupted the word and changed the bible..

see Jesus's own words here

Matt. 5:17-19. , “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. “For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.”

Too much.

How does fulfilling things make them go away? So Jesus fulfills the law, and so the laws are all dropped? How does that mean that the laws were to be dropped? Was Judaism not working out? Were they screwing things up? Has anyone even LOOKED at Christianity?

Perhaps I didn't answer your question properly, but I can't think properly right now either.

sums it up pretty well. he came to fulfill the law & show other's their need for the Savior, because they were incapable of keeping the law.
1,2,3-amen.

Yes. Salvation comes through God's grace, our repentance and by accepting Jesus as our Lord and our Savior, not by following the law.

2. No I don't agree. He did all so that it could be fulfilled. He did however show that the religious leaders had put harsh rules on people but they were not the laws of God.
Jesus did not come to change the law but to fulfill it. He said not one jot or title (dot of I or cross of t) would pass away.
But He did set people in the religious community straight on what was truly expected.

He was the final sacrifice.
He made it clear what you think in your heart was the same as doing it. If you look with lust you have already created adultery in your heart.
He made it clear the law could not make anyone righteous. (that is what He did)
He changed the Priesthood. No longer did we need a priest to go to God for us. There is now no separation between God and man. We can come boldly into the throne room. We have been made kings and priest to our God.
The Jews had some 600+ laws, Jesus said 2 Love God with all your heart soul and body and love your neighbor as yourself.

No. God Abhors human sacrifice. In the binding of Isaac, the test was not Abraham's, it was Isaac's, and he failed. He should not have allowed himself to be involved in something God had already said was abhorrent to him. Abe argues with god on several occasions. Jacob, Isaac's son, disobeys his father, literally wrestles with an angel of god, yet becomes the father of all Israel. Isaac, who displays perfect obedience, doesn't figure much in the story of Genesis at all. Hmmmm.

In Judaism, action is stressed over beliefs. ALL who are righteous will share in the world to come. Who are the righteous? Rabbi Hillel (a decade before Jesus allegedly said something similar, as reported in Matthew 7:12) said, "What is hateful to you, don't do to others, that is the whole of the law, the rest is commentary on that."

answer: Actually I agree with NONE of them. Equating a human/deity sacrifice with the Passover lamb is offensive and G-d said that HE abhors human/deity sacrifice.

Jesus broke commandments - the Jewish Messiah will be observant.

No evidence anyone rose from the dead.

Judaism does NOT need a savior nor a sacrifice to reach G-d.

What did Jesus change in Judaism?

He created a place of eternal torment - something NOT found in Judaism.
In Judaism, there are fewer commandments for non-Jews, making atonement of sin easier.
The Christian Bible cites the concept of original sin which requires the sacrifice of a god for atonement.

From "Judaism for Everyone" by Rabbi Shmuley Boteach
Central to the Jewish response to suffering is a staunch rejection of the belief in its redemptive power. According to Judaism there are no ennobling qualities in pain…. The belief in the redemptive quality of suffering is a profoundly Christian concept. In Christianity, the suffering servant, the crucified Christ, brings atonement for the sins of mankind through his own sacrifice and torment. The message: Without suffering there can be no redemption. According to Christianity, if Jesus had not suffered and died on the cross, mankind would still be damned. Suffering is therefore extolled in the New Testament: “And not only that, but we also boast in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces hope” (Rom. 5:3-4). “If we are being afflicted, it is for your consolation and salvation; if we are being consoled, it is for your consolation, which you experience when you patiently endure the same sufferings that we are also suffering” (2 Cor. 1:6). Indeed, Paul even made suffering an obligation, encouraging the fledging Christians to “share in suffering like a good soldier of Christ Jesus” (2 Tim. 2:3).
In Judaism, however, suffering is anything but redemptive. It leads to a tortured spirit and a pessimistic outlook on life. It scars our psyches and brings about a cynical consciousness, devoid of hope. Suffering causes us to dig out the insincerity of the hearts of our fellows and to be envious of other people’s happiness. If individuals do become better people as a result of their suffering, it is despite the fact that they suffered, not because of it. Ennoblement of character comes through triumph over suffering, rather than its endurance.
Man’s mission was never to make peace with suffering and death, but to abolish them from the face of the earth for all eternity by joining God as a junior partner in creation. By studying medicine and offering aid to people in need, we live up to our highest calling of having been created in the divine image. The atheist doctor who struggles to cure AIDS is infinitely more in tune with the Jewish response to suffering than the minister of religion who tells his flock that suffering is part of the divine plan. The sinning businessman who may have never stepped into a synagogue but makes a loan to a colleague to save him from bankruptcy is more in tune with the Jewish response to suffering than the Rabbi who seeks to give a rationalization for why children die of leukemia…. Our role as humans is not to give meaning to aberrations, but combating them and to healing wounds.

Pretty much, yes... I doubt Jesus was out to make a religon about himself, but to improve an existing one, one I might add doesn't proselytize or even believes in "hell" in the sense of "burning for eternity in a very unpleasant place".

Back