Week 15: Deep Sleepers and DFS Bargains

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
It’s the penultimate edition of Deep Sleepers and DFS Bargains. Last week I was right about QB Ryan Fitzpatrick and TE Zach Miller. Terrell Pryor wasn’t targeted, but did see over 20 percent of the snaps. His fantasy value is nil this late in the season, but he’s someone I recommend keeping an eye on as we transition into 2016.
Speaking of moving along… there’s a lot of running back value in Week 15. As such, I’ve decided to highlight three players who are not Denard Robinson, Bryce Brown, and/or Fozzy Whitaker (because you want to dig deeper than that).
Here are the parameters… all of the below players are owned in less than sixty percent of Yahoo leagues and/or are a significant value in our daily game. They’re not the obvious picks, and they’re not without their risks, but that’s why they’re so cheap and available! I’d never advocate taking all of these guys, but rather utilizing them if a manager were in a pinch at a position or aiming to build a “stars and scrubs” sort of DFS lineup. Have at it!
[Yahoo Daily Fantasy: $10 could win you $30K in our $300K contest for Week 15]
Melvin Gordon, RB, San Diego Chargers ($14)
“What? But he’s sucked all year!” Yeah, yeah, yeah. I hear you. And while I think his lack of production has had more to do with an infirmed offensive line, I will admit that his indecision and dancing feet haven’t exactly propelled him forward. Yet, his numbers over the past few weeks have been encouraging.
Since returning from bye, Gordon has commanded the team’s backfield. He’s far out-touched veteran committee member Danny Woodhead, averaging nearly 14 totes per game as opposed to Woodhead’s four. And he’s not just rushing the ball. The rookie has been heavily featured in the passing game as well. Since Week 11, Gordon has reeled in 11 total balls, which is just two fewer than Woodhead (13).
In Week 15 he’ll host Miami’s 30[SUP]th[/SUP] ranked run defense, a unit that has surrendered the third most fantasy points to the position. The Dolphins aren’t simply generous to RBs. They’re down right benevolent. There have only been two weeks all season (2 and 6) in which the Phins haven’t allowed at least 100 combined yards to the opposing team’s lead back. I’m not promising that Gordon will find the end zone for the first time in his pro career this Sunday, but I am incredibly confident that he finishes among the top twenty fantasy players at the position.
[Week 15 rankings:*Quarterback |*Running Back |*Receiver | Tight End | Flex | All Positions]
Bilal Powell, RB, New York Jets ($11)
Since returning from an ankle injury in Week 11, Powell has been on a tear. In that time he’s averaged over 6.0 YPC and hauled in 20 balls for 211 receiving yards. Scoring in back-to-back contests, Powell’s fantasy stock has been climbing. An RB2 for fake football fans in three of his past four games, Powell has additionally cracked the top 12 fantasy players at the position in his last two outings.
Even before No. 3 WR Devin Smith tore his ACL, Powell had been heavily targeted in the passing game. Traveling to Dallas on Saturday, I expect QB Ryan Fitzpatrick to continue to check down to the sure handed back. In fact, due to the Cowboys’ DB strength, it wouldn’t surprise me to see Powell frequently utilized. Having given up an average of over 53 receiving yards per outing to RBs, Dallas has struggled against versatile backs. Just five days ago they let Green Bay’s James Starks into the end zone twice. Currently available in over 80 percent of leagues, Powell is coming on at just the right time for contending teams.
Chris Polk, RB, Houston Texans ($10)
While Polk received scads of airtime on HBO’s Hard Knocks, his role in Houston’s backfield has been decidedly supporting. That was until two weeks ago, however. Acquiring double-digit totes in back-to-back contests, the former Eagle appears to have worked his way to the top of Houston’s depth chart. In Week 13 his carries tripled those of Alfred Blue’s and when Blue was banged up in Week 14, Polk received his first career start. His numbers against a tough New England run defense were far from stellar, but the fact that the coaching staff stuck with him is worth noting.
Even if Blue is active and with Jonathan Grimes also in the mix, the matchup for Polk in Week 15 is still decidedly plus. He’ll face off against a Colts run defense that surrendered 63 yards to T.J. Yeldon in less than three quarters of play last Sunday. Allowing an average of over 121 rushing yards per game, Indianapolis has gifted opposing RBs with 13 scores on the season. With QB Brian Hoyer out, I have to imagine the Texans will lean heavily on the run in an attempt to hide back-up T.J. Yates. If the last few weeks are any indication, Polk will be the biggest beneficiary of this potential volume… and have savvy owners yelling, “Bang, bang, chicken and shrimp!”
[Yahoo Daily Fantasy: $10 could win you $30K in our $300K contest for Week 15]
BONUS:
Matt Ryan, QB, Atlanta Falcons ($29)
For the 86 percent of you who have been stashing this fail, now is the time to roll him out. Well outside of the top 15 fantasy players at the position, Ryan’s matchup this week is undeniable. Jacksonville’s defense has forced just 7 interceptions on the season and is giving up the third most fantasy points to opposing signal callers. Determined to rebound after being embarrassed by Carolina in Week 14, Ryan should do some damage against the Jags porous secondary. Even Philip Rivers managed 300 passing yards and 4 scores against this defense just three weeks ago… and those are the only TDs he’s throw since returning from the Chargers’ Week 10 bye.
Richard Rodgers, TE, Green Bay Packers ($16)
The Cal connection cannot be denied. Rodgers has scored in back-to-back contests. While his targets were far from plentiful in Week 14 he appears to have become ARod’s most trusted weapon in the red zone. Additionally, the Raiders have given up the most TDs to the position, at 11 on the season.

Seth Roberts, WR, Oakland Raiders ($11)
Scoring on the Broncos will get a wideout some pub. Unlike Mike Wallace, however, I don’t believe Roberts’ TD to be flukey. With three scores in his last three games Roberts end zone appeal is undeniable. Assuming the Packers focus the bulk of their defensive energies on Michael Crabtree and Amari Cooper, Roberts could produce in the red area of the field once again.
Follow Liz on Twitter @LizLoza_FF

Back