Video: French TV car hits a cyclist during Tour de France

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
A French television car swerved into a competitor during Sunday's stage of the Tour de France, sending the cyclist into a fellow rider and causing a spectacular crash that miraculously left neither rider seriously injured.

Juan Antonio Flecha was riding alongside Johnny Hoogerland during stage 9 of the race when a French TV car swerved into him. The accelerating car clipped Flecha, who then ran into Hoogerland. Flecha fell on the pavement and Hoogerland flipped over his bike into a barbed wire fence.

Sporting only a few deep cuts and ripped jerseys, Flecha and Hoogerland quickly got back on their bikes and continued the stage, finishing in 136th and 139th place, respectively.

"I did what felt like a few somersaults," Hoogerland said.*"I don't know where the car came from. Before I knew it, Flecha was on the ground and there was nothing I could do.*We can still be happy that we're alive."

The Dutchman went to a hospital and was expected to receive 30 stitches on his left thigh. A spokesman for Flecha's team said it's not certain whether he'll be able to continue the race of Monday.

After the stage was complete, both riders were awarded a prize given to the day's most combative riders.

Back