Today i bought a Johnson 9.9 outboard and plan to put it on my 14 foot flat bottom

sweetromanticgirl4u

Aug 26, 2008
boat. Good condition...? garage kept and according to the seller it has low hours because its was hardly used and only between 1977 and 1980. 29 years empty and garage kept, he had it up and running so i bought it. I took it to the local boat motor shop who i trust and he ran it and said it was in good shape but he recommended i replace the water pump since those tend to dry rot over time and if it went bad while in use i wouldn't know and i could burn up the motor. Ok, put it in. I had heard about the upgrade for this particular motor; a carb from a 15 hp Johnson will ad significant boost or more power and he had one metal one left. But, he didn't know if the 1977 model had the right sized exhaust tube, apparently this needs to be replaced also. According to the mechanic 1974-76 model 9.9's had the larger exhaust tube. So, does anyone out there know about this particular type of upgrade??? And, exactly what does replacing the exhaust tube entail? The motor runs great as is with the smaller carb but for $300 more i figured 50% more hp was the way to go. Thank you in advance.

Back