Tip of the Day: How to avoid injuries when shoveling snow

M_Smith

Jun 18, 2007
Tip of the Day: How to avoid injuries when shoveling snow
[SIZE=-1]As I found out a while back, it's pretty easy to hurt yourself when shoveling snow. My sciatica flared up after I shoveled out from a December snowstorm, laying me up the week after Christmas and dampening my New Year's spirit. While the photo shows me and my daughter in a prepain moment, I'm still limping around a bit several weeks later.
To avoid the apparent mistakes I made, follow our advice so that your wintertime shoveling doesn't become more than just an annoying chore. (You'll find some eco-friendly ways to get rid of snow in this story from The Daily Green.)
First, make sure that you're in good enough physical shape to tackle the task. "People don't appreciate that snow shoveling is a very vigorous form of activity," says Mary Fran Hazinski, a registered nurse and the senior science editor for the American Heart Association's Emergency Cardiovascular Care Programs.
Hazinski urges you to take the AHA's online self-assessment test to gauge your risk of a heart attack before attempting intense exercise like shoveling. Meet with your doctor to discuss troubling results and, if necessary, to develop an exercise program that will prepare your body for strenuous activity. In the meantime, you can hire someone else to shovel or plow your property.
Even fit folks need to maintain proper shoveling techniques and procedures to avoid the chance of injury. Snow shoveling and ice removal results in about 31,000 injuries annually, according to theAmerican Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
"First of all, do not smoke or drink caffeinated beverages before shoveling snow. These stimulants increase heart rate and cause blood vessels to constrict, so that not enough blood will reach the muscles, and you'll be even more susceptible to cold and fatigue," notes Silvana Fix, D.P.T., a doctor of physical therapy with Spine and Sports Rehab in Fairfield, Connecticut. But do drink water before, during, and after you shovel to prevent dehydration and muscle cramps. Here's more smart advice from Fix:
Clothing
? Dress in layers that allow ease of movement.
? Wear a hat to prevent body heat loss; waterproof boots with soles that provide traction; and thick gloves to keep your hands warm.
Tool of the trade
? Use an ergonomically designed snow shovel with a curved handle, which helps keep your back straighter and reduces strain on your spine. Be sure the shaft is long enough so that your back stays straight when shoveling.
? Choose a shovel that gives you the option to push or lift snow, and apply a bit of silicone-lubricant spray to the shovel blade to keep snow from sticking to it.

Injury-prevention advice
? If possible, wait at least 2 hours after waking up before you shovel. Spinal disks are more susceptible to injury early in the morning.
? Warm up for a few minutes before you start work. Walk in place for 5 minutes and perform a few squats: With your feet shoulder-width apart and your spine erect, slowly drop down into a sitting position, pause, and then rise up to standing. Only go as low as you feel pain-free and stable. The goal is for your thighs to be parallel with the floor at the bottom of the squat, but don't let your knees slide forward and past your toes during the movement.
? You should also do a set of back extensions: Standing with your feet shoulder-width apart and hands on your hips, slowly arch backwards until you can't flex any further, hold, and return to a full upright position. Do five to 10 reps.
? Shovel with your legs, not with your back. Lower-body muscles are very strong; by using your lower body to shovel snow you will help prevent back strains. To prevent twisting or bending, keep your back straight and step in the direction that you are pushing snow.
? If you need to shovel snow to the side, do not twist at the trunk. Instead, move your feet.
? Keep your arms and elbows close to your body to increase your leverage and help prevent shoulder and elbows strains. Push small loads, and never throw snow over your shoulders.
Fix advises taking a break every 10 minutes or so, using this time to perform a few back extensions, as detailed above. If you feel any pain, stop immediately and go to a warm, dry place.
Postshoveling routine
? Perform a set of 10 back extensions, as detailed above.
? To stretch your quads: While standing tall, bend your left knee and bring your left heel to your buttock. Grab your left ankle with your left hand and hold your foot behind your buttocks for 20 to 30 seconds. Do three reps with each leg.
? To stretch your shoulders: Bring your right arm across your chest and use your left hand or forearm to push the right elbow against your chest. Hold for 20 to 30 seconds, completing three reps with each arm.
? To stretch your trunk: Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, lift your right arm straight overhead and bend at the waist to the right. Go as far as you can while keeping your feet flat, and then hold for 10 to 15 seconds. Do three reps and repeat the steps with your left arm, this time bending to your left.
As noted in this post on our Health Blog, if you feel pressure or pain in your chest, or discomfort spreading to your shoulders, neck, jaw, arms, or back, call for an ambulance immediately, chew and swallow an aspirin, and lie down. You could be having a heart attack.
Hazinski added a few more emergency procedures. "It's best if you or a companion stays on the line with a dispatcher, so you can direct them to where you are, and make sure there are no locked doors between you and the emergency responders. It's also a good idea for you and your family to learn CPR, as immediate administering by a bystander can double or triple survival rates from sudden cardiac arrests."?Gian Trotta
Essential Information: The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers excellent snow-shoveling and snow-blowing advice on its Web site. This Tip of the Day adds advice and points to resources on choosing snow blowers and operating them safely. For more information on snow blowers, watch the video, above, and read our report.
[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Subscribe now![/SIZE]
Subscribe to [SIZE=-1]ConsumerReports.org[/SIZE] for expert Ratings, buying advice and reliability on hundreds of products. [SIZE=-1]Update your feed preferences[/SIZE]
tip_of_the_day_how_to_avoid_injuries_when_shovel_526398286

Back