This is me venting and asking for advice. Will someone please please please

Sarah

May 11, 2008
please help me? I'm desparate.? I have this "friend", I'll call him Tom. We are both 16 He's been talking to me a lot lately over text, and I think its pretty obvious that he has some kind of mental problem. He's completely obsessed with his ex girlfriend who is one of my really good friends. He claims he's still in love with her when they broke up about a month and a half ago. He told her he loved her just after a week of dating... Its like he wants to seem like the cliche troubled person that drinks, does drugs, cuts himself, to deal with whatever problems he has. I've been trying to help him "cope" for a while now, and I don't know how much longer I can keep it up. On top of all this he claims he's being abused. I just don't know if I believe it or not. I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW you are never supposed doubt things like this, but just with the way he always acts... it just seem so completely made up. It's like all he ever really truly wants is pity and for everyone to be as sad, upset, and angry as him all day every day. I honestly don't know how much more of this I can keep up. I feel like he's making up stories and telling me lies to get me to feel bad for him. I have tried getting out of conversations early so we don't get into things like this and I know it's bad to lie like that, but I just don't know what to do about anything at all anymore. When I try to help him and give him advice, he just completely brushes it aside and changes the subject. Sometimes what I tell him is kind of harsh, but its the absolute truth and he knows it and he needs to hear it. He tells me he has thoughts about trying to hurt his dad, and I've told him thats not a healthy way of thinking. So far as far as advice goes, I've told him to talk to his mom about seeing a psychiatrist or a psychologist, to which he says something like "I've tried, but she just doesn't care". I've told him to try writing a letter to his dad and sitting down with him while his dad reads it to himself, but he says something like "I'm too lazy to write" I've told him that things won't get better if he won't do anything about it. I don't want to completely abandon him, but sometimes I come close enough that it scares me. Sorry this is really long, but its basically just all my thoughts and frustration coming out at random. Is there anyone that can please PLEASE PLEASE help me? Encourage me? Tell me ways to help him and encourage him? Tell me things that I can say to him? I feel so desparate and angry with myself for being angry about something like this.

Back