Some really basic questions about beginning to practice basic Judaism, including

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Jul 20, 2010
am I considered Jewish at all? My mother at least half-Jewish. She was not raised in any religion and married my father who is Catholic. She was baptized Catholic after they married and then had me. I was baptized and raised Catholic as well. I have always been interested in Judaism, but have absolutely no exposure to it. We have a reformed temple and a conservative temple in the town I live in. I was thinking about trying to go to a Shabbat service, but these are my questions.

1)Am I even considered Jewish or would I have to “convert” with the fact that my mother is at least half Jewish, but married a non-Jewish person. And I married a non-Jewish person and we have a daughter (who has been baptized as well).
2)What is the difference between reformed and Conservative?
3)If I did attend a Shabbat service, what exactly do I do? Are seats assigned? What do I do since I obviously can’t speak or even read Hebrew? If you are not Jewish (which I highly doubt I am considered Jewish), are you even welcome to come? What do you wear? And are there any rules of conduct I should note if I did go?

Back