Shouldn't GM, Ford and Chrysler all merge to form a leaner, meaner single

StephenL

Jun 13, 2008
U.S. auto company? Most of Congress has decided that bailing them out is not worthwhile because it won't work anyway and they'll just need more money in a matter of months. I agree with this. Some in Congress point out that a car company cannot survive in bankruptcy because need for parts and service are on-going and who the heck is going to buy a car from a bankrupt company (unless the car is sold well undervalue)? I think that's also correct. So here's what I think is the only real solution: All 3 should merge and form one company which, of course, will mean lay-offs, but not nearly as bad as the alternative. This single company would still be competing against foreign auto makers, so there are no worries about a monopoly.

Does anyone else agree with me? If not, what do you see as the alternative? Remember -- letting these companies go out of business means 2 - 3 million workers losing their jobs.
Please offer the alternative to what I'm suggesting and why yours is a good idea.
Dewey, I agree, but in the meantime these 3 auto makers are on the verge of going out of business. The CEOs of GM and Ford told Congress their companies would be out of business within a year unless they received a bail-out -- which they didn't receive. Don't even get me started about their corporate jets -- what a disgrace!

Back