Should I trust my old car to a new job? '92 Honda Accord?

flecksable_flyer

Sep 3, 2008
I have a 1992 Honda Accord (5 speed) with 194,000 miles on it. I bought it with 170,000 miles on it 3 years ago. I had to have an entire new muffler put on it since I moved to a state that requires emissions tests (nearly $1000!), and I have had the brakes redone. The question is, how much longer should I trust my car?
I am totally religious about changing the oil every 3000 miles and it still gets nearly 30mpg hwy. Someone mentioned the universal belt and having it changed. My car didn't come with any maintenance records, so I don't know if it's ever been done. I understand that the death of the belt would be the death of my car, but I don't have the funds to replace it since I'm currently living on just my disability.
I might have an opportunity to get a job an hour away, but I don't know what else I should be doing with my car to keep it going. I keep hearing from former Honda owners that they have gotten 200,000+ miles on their car as long as they were really good about keeping up with oil changes. The car looks like crap, but otherwise runs fine.

Back