Scott Servais knows why Mariners can't win at home on Sunday

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
Seattle Mariners manager Scott Servais’ first season at the helm has to be considered a success thus far. After finishing 10 games under .500 last year, Servais has the team at exactly .500 through 96 games.
That record could be a lot better if the team performed better at home on Sundays. This year, the club is 1-7 during those specific contests. They just can’t seem to pick up a win during Sunday home games.
[Join a Yahoo Daily Fantasy Baseball contest now]
Servais thinks he knows why that’s the case, according to Adam Lewis of seattlepi.com. It’s not the players, or the way the sunlight shines in the batter’s eye at that exact time. Nope, it’s the club’s retro uniforms.
“It’s all about the uniform,” Servais said before Monday’s series opener against the White Sox. “It’s something I’ve thought long and hard about. I appreciate our marketing department and everybody putting out different looks for the Mariners, but as I’ve thought last night at about 1 in the morning, I came to the conclusion that it had to be tied to the uniform. So I’m going to work on that. I’m going to talk to (executive vice president) Kevin Mather and see where we can go with that.”
This is the point where we tell you*Servais was joking. He doesn’t actually blame the Mariners retro cream-colored jerseys, which are awesome by the way, for the team’s struggles. It was just a prank. Got it? Servais wasn’t being serious.
51924e81d4ec8aa5d90ba98f954a8722
Robinson Cano shows off the Mariners’ Sunday home jerseys. (Getty Images/Otto Greule Jr.) Servais*did seriously consider the question, but concluded there was no one reason for the Mariners’ struggles during those games. He did, however, say that he might consider changing up the team’s routine before Sunday home games.
As the Cleveland Indians showed recently, baseball can be a superstitious game. There may be no logical reason for the Mariners’ poor play on Sundays at home, but it wouldn’t be surprising to see them make their own sacrifice to Jobu – or the Seattle equivalent of Jobu – in the coming weeks.
More MLB coverage from Yahoo Sports:

– – – – – – –
Chris Cwik is a writer for Big League Stew on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter! Follow @Chris_Cwik

Back