please critique my essay about religion if you have the time?

AndyVo

Sep 3, 2008
This is an essay for my catholic school if you've read my last 2 post you would understand why

Thanks if you read it and gave me feedback!

One by one

One by one, kid by kid, religion is creeping up on us. The effects of religions like Christianity, Catholicism and the other 36,000+ Christian denominations are bringing us down as a society. Whether its indoctrination , crusades, inquisition or just the moral values religions have introduce to the world is devastating. These are only the few examples religion have provided for society that has been left in ruins.

Religions such as the catholic religions, puts a halt to the studies of science and health care. They hold back stem cell research which could be vital in the fight against diseases like cancer, parkinsons, alzheimers, spinal cord injuries and muscle damage. Catholicism also prevents abortion and the use of contraceptives which has resulted in millions becoming infected with HIV/AIDS as well as millions of unwanted pregnancies which creates pressure on impoverished societies.

Indoctrination is a tactic used to brainwash children at younger ages. Rational Thinking is skewed and damaged by superstitious notions which cannot be backed up by evidence. For centuries, even before people learned to read and write, religion has continuously rejected the findings of objective Science. In 1632, when Galileo published his book, Dialogues on the Two Chief World Systems, he was summoned by Pope Urban VIII a year later to appear before the Inquisition in Rome. Just for asserting the his ideas that the Earth was not the center of the universe or that the earth is not flat, Galileo was then sentenced to life imprisonment in a Roman dungeon for most of his life. This stops education and could put us back in the Dark Ages.

There is a connection that parents who are theists have children with lower IQ’s. These children will be less intrested in science. Religious people, who will live in that adulthood, will become less intelligent compared the to people around them. Research has already proven this. Paul Bell in Mensa Magazine, 2002, reviewed all studies taken of religion and IQ. He concluded:"Of 43 studies carried out since 1927 on the relationship between religious belief and one's intelligence and/or educational level, all but four found an inverse connection. That is, the higher one's intelligence or education level, the less one is likely to be religious or hold "beliefs" of any kind."

Religions since the beginning of time has been to control the masses, but it is the 21st Century now, and we shouldn’t let religion blind us anymore. The time to put a end to religion has come. Being an indoctrinated theist since I was born has put a toll on my life, but now that I further the study on my religion and world religion, I can proudly call myself an atheist and fight what I believe in, and I hope you can to.

Back