PDA in the school, question on rules of it. (student handbook included)?

morph

May 30, 2008
So today I was kissing my girlfriend and the vice principle came up and told us to cool it. So we did and i hugged her maybe 5 minutes later and another teacher came up asking if she was correct in saying if the vice principle had just told us not to kiss. I said, "Yes he did, but we were not kissing we were only hugging." She replied saying, "Yes, but isn't hugging an extension of kissing?" First of all, how is hugging and extension of kissing, the definition of extend, well is to extend.

So for it to be an extension we would have to be making out. But that is not what matters, so when I got home I looked online for the student handbook and found a PDF of it. Using quick find there is only one instance of the words. (PDF) (public display of affection) (affection) The only instance these show up is during the following,

Level I misbehaviors include (but are not limited to) the following:
a. inappropriate behavior
b. dishonesty and cheating
c. failure to carry out directions
d. tardiness
e. littering
f. inappropriate dress (determined by the administration-see dress in the student handbook).
g. public display of affection
h. in hallways without permission
i. failure to return any paper requiring parental/guardian signature
j. class disruption
k. inappropriate use of language
L. bus misconduct (see bus policy)
m. dangerous acts

So my question is, since there is no actual statement saying what PDA is; by law are they able to make up there own rules to what it is? Or since they don't actually tell you what PDA is, it can become null and void. Since I signed that paper saying i would abide by the rules of the handbook, if the actual meaning of PDA is not in the handbook, can I get in trouble for holding hands, hugging, kissing, ect.

Back