Need help with Android customization (HTC ONE AND SENSE 5)? Looking for...

Shikhar

Aug 21, 2008
...someone who knows the OS WELL? Preamble:

I just made the jump from iPhone to Android. I had an iTouch, then an iPhone 4, then a 5 and I even found a way to get the iOS7 developers beta on to my phone and play with it. I have been REALLY sick of iOS for a long time, and although iOS7 was a welcome change and a huge improvement, I found myself still feeling bored..

So I made the jump and got myself an HTC One. I'm really loving the phone. Don't get me wrong, the OS has a TON of weaknesses compared to iOS but its a lot of fun too and a nice change. Sense 5 is also pretty light, unintrusive, I basically like it. I'm not looking to flash the phone or mess with the OS too much, but I do need some basic help.

I'm pretty tech-savvy, and I know I'll figure most of the stuff out, once I get started, but I'm not really sure where to start. Help?
_____

Question:

I've already downloaded a bunch of apps that I had on iOS, set them up, I'm using/enjoying Blinkfeed and all my widgets.. But I'm a little let down. I knew Android was supposed to be hugely customizable, but how to do that isn't exactly clear. I was wondering if someone could walk me through the process, and maybe even stay in touch through email after answering my questions, in case I had any more.

I'm trying to figure out how to actively alter the interface of the phone. For example, I find the whole interface of messages a little plain, how do I download an alternative skin for it?

Also, I've seen the "hub" in the BlackBerry 10 OS, and something very similar on Samsung Touchwiz. Then, I later saw that someone managed to get than on an HTC One, so if anyone knows what I'm talking about, or maybe this a common feature I don't know about, can someone show me how to get it?

I'm also looking for other function suggestions, or fun gimmickry. I'm not looking for broken, useless functionality, just stuff to make my overall experience and usage better.

Thanks for reading ALL of this, and I hope someone can help.

Cheers!

Back