My Mom Thinks I'm "Emo"?

ToniMarie

Jul 14, 2008
For the past three years or so, all I wear is skinny jeans, jeans, and graphic tees. With the occasional skirt and shorts, of course. Now,
I've been wearing graphic tee's and jeans since as long as I can remember, but my moms just freaking out now. I wanted a new haircut, with dye. My mom has encouraged me to dye my hair since I was in 4th grade [I'm in 9th now]. And I want to dye it black, I thought this would be okay since my hair is naturally black, and I didn't want to deal with the awkwardness of having my hair be 2 colors at once [Light brown with my natural black]. My friend is 'scene' and he helped me pick out a new haircut which he says is scene, I picked one I really liked, showed my mom, and she called me 'emo'. She's been wanting me to wear makeup since 7th grade, so I just started to last year, with just eyeliner on the top lid. For the past month or so, I've been putting black eyeliner [just a thin line] on my bottom and top eyelid, sometimes putting 'wings', because I think it brings out my eyes more, and I like how it looks on me. My mom hates it though... yet she still lets me do it [only if I'm going out with my friends]. She really blew up today when I came home and had my nails and toes done. My toes were painted black, and my nails we're painted hot pink. She said I was
"becoming emo". I hate labels, I believe that I am me, and that's all I need. My friend who is 'scene' says that from the music I listen to, and the way I dress/talk/act that I have been scene for some time, which I didn't know. I don't understand, my mom lets me buy bright blue skinny jeans, purple ones too! And she asked me if I wanted my nose pierced after my friend did [Yes, I do, but I declined it].

We're going Back-to-School clothes shopping on Sunday... how am I supposed to bring her into Hot Topic? They'res there's amazing shorts with suspenders I've been wanting, and I want to grab some lliquid eyeliner.. and lots of stuff! But.. how can I bring her in? She continues to call the clothes I wear "Freak clothes" and the makeup is "Freak makeup". I'm scared she's gonna call people freaks in Hot Topic.. or wherever I shop. How can I make her accept that I dress the way I dress because it makes me feel pretty? And I put on makeup that way because I like how it looks? I have extremely low self esteem, and the way my outfit and hair looks is the only thing I like about myself.

How do I get my mom to accept me?

Back